Retake Orgo 1?

Hi all,

I took Orgo 1 when classes first switched to online at the beginning of the pandemic. Foolishly I now believe, I opted to convert my C+ to a "pass" grade with the intention of preserving a higher GPA. I don't think adcoms are viewing this favorably and what's more, I got an A in Anatomy and Physiology 2 yet opted for pass in Orgo 1. Might it be good idea to retake it and get an A? 

Depends on the school.

Duke: https://medschool.duke.edu/education/health-professions-education-programs/physician-assistant-program/admissions

Wake Forest: https://school.wakehealth.edu/education-and-training/pa-program/admission-requirements

I looked at your previous posts and you had asked the same thing and you were given many excellent advice. I think you need to be working on strengthening your patient care hours and volunteerism. Remember that GPA is only one aspect that adcoms look at.

Hi 🙂 i think i have a situation that is very similar to yours. I took a Pass for my microbiology course that i got a C+ in during first semester of COVID. 

i chose to not retake it solely because why invest more money and time if i already have an entire degree and plan on spending more money for PA school.

making this choice did drastically limit what schools i could apply to in general. I’m not sure if orgo is a prereq for most programs the way microbio is, but do To having the PASS i only had the option of considering 60 schools out of the hundreds that exist. BUT i did end up applying to 7 schools, interviewed at 3 so far and got accepted to every school. 

the CASPA portal does have an entire essay dedicated to explaining COVID circumstances and this is your time to SHINE. Don’t describe yourself as a victim but sell yourself as a person full of grit! 

overall if your GPA is solid, don’t retake the course. Make sure your application stats is in line/in the ballpark of the schools average student. AND if you’re still feeling insecure kill the GRE so that you can have that as a highlight point on your application.

Good luck!