I’m stuck between Pa or MD route

Hello everyone Im 25 I had leukemia since 2013 with two cart treatments and a transplant i was able to go back to school at 24 year old im at CC with a degree in CS but I took an anatomy course  and bio as an elective I really enjoyed and i want to make a difference.

i would need my bachelors in science I would do this at the 4 year for sure.

both my parents are doctors there around 58-60 about to retire in 10 years plus my  cousin a pharmacist.

im stuck which way to go  either PA or MD route because my father who an MD always receives PA students to shadow and tells me its less time for studying over MD that’s a long route plus my mom says don’t go MD since its longer and residency you don’t get treated right.

I never worked before since 16-22 I was in the hospital getting treatment so i zero income.

I’m not 100% which way to go I want to be able to help people and make a difference ?

I truly hope you are doing okay now.

1. Did you enjoy the science classes because you are familiar with terminologies given that you have been a patient? Or did you truly enjoy the science courses and you want to know more?

2. You can make a difference in any career field. PA/MDs do not have monopoly in changing peoples lives. The garbage man in my street makes a difference every day. Sure I can take my trash to the dump but his presence makes my life easier.

3. Why don't you shadow an ER PA and an MD separately? I say ER because they have to make decisions when they see the patients compared other specialties where the patients for the most part are returning patients. You may get a better insight on their roles in the medical field.

4. Hmmm... less time studying...anyone wanna tell him?

5. Why would you not be treated right in residency?

6. If you have never worked before, I think you would be better off an MD. All the PAs I know were something before they went to PA school. Tabula rasa at this point. I'm not being mean with this statement. If I were you, that's what I would do. 

Good luck

Edited by VentiMacchiato
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, VentiMacchiato said:

I truly hope you are doing okay now.

1. Did you enjoy the science classes because you are familiar with terminologies given that you have been a patient? Or did you truly enjoy the science courses and you want to know more?

2. You can make a difference in any career field. PA/MDs do not have monopoly in changing peoples lives. The garbage man in my street makes a difference every day. Sure I can take my trash to the dump but his presence makes my life easier.

3. Why don't you shadow an ER PA and an MD separately? I say ER because they have to make decisions when they see the patients compared other specialties where the patients for the most part are returning patients. You may have a better insight on their roles in the medical field.

4. Hmmm... less time studying...anyone wanna tell him?

5. Why would you not be treated right in residency?

6. If you have never worked before, I think you would be better off an MD. All the PAs I know were something before they went to PA school. Tabula rasa at this point. I'm not being mean with this statement. If I were you, that's what I would do. 

Good luck

Yes im ok now since i started college in 2015 I couldn’t finish since my cancer came back in 2016 I just don’t see me as CS /cyber security major and doing remote job for me sounds not appealing.

i rather be out there helping people lives and making a difference and Pay not an issue with me

4 he means  less training because in MD you have to take the step 1 and 2 and study long hrs while in Pa you get the training on hand.

5 because of race since both my parents are Peruvian moved to IL then to Allentown pa.

6 i will do that to make my decision clear im still confused.