250 Word Personal Statement!

If someone could give me some feedback on this, that would be great!

For the ESSAY section below, write a brief essay of 250 words or less explaining the reason for your choice of the Physician Assistant Program, past related experiences, and why you believe you are a good candidate for the profession

My first meaningful experience practicing medicine came when I started volunteering with EMS. I loved every minute of it – from driving lights and sirens to a call, to working as a team providing patient care, and finally to interacting with hospital staff. As a crewmember, I was not the one ultimately making decisions; I just enjoyed working together with my partner to care for a patient. I saw my crew chief as more of an equal, someone to bounce ideas off of and to give a different perspective, rather than just someone to give instructions.

However, recently, just working as an EMT has not been enough. I want to know what happens after we take people to the hospital and why. Essentially, I want to be able to provide more for my patients. To explore this desire, I started shadowing a PA. As I watched him interact with patients and collaborate with physicians, it dawned on me that the relationship between a PA and their supervising physician is the same as the relationship between my crew chief and me. It was then that I was certain a career as a PA is the right one for me. I can provide a high level of care for my patients while also working alongside other professionals to determine the best treatment plan. My experiences have taught me the true meaning of the phrase “healthcare team,” and I know now that I am ready to take on a greater role in this team.

It would be difficult for me to answer any one of those questions in just 250 words, nevermind all three! In your answer I can see you are a passionate team player which is great, but realize that PA schools are looking to see how you would be as a future PA: for example, effectiveness of your communication skills and ability to pay close attention to detail. Stay away from the fluff and stick to the details that showcase what makes you a good, unique candidate. Think about the specific skills that your experience has taught you that the PA school of your choice will benefit from. PS. stay away from any and all negative statments! Instead of saying that you are not the one making the decisions, write about a specific time where you helped in the decision making process. Working as an EMT hasn't been enough, it's just that you are ready to further your education and accept more responsibility... Good luck :)

Archived