quick question on Rxns

Hi

I am confused of why the pharmacy is calling the clinic to ask for my DEA#. I dont have one and dont plan on getting one right away. I do have the DPS and prescriptive authority to write for schd 3-5. I have written meds like xanax, norco, etc....

do I need a DEA for this reason? I was under the impression that I could not prescribe triplicates or Schd 2 drugs.

please direct me somewhere were I can read up on this issue.

I told the clinic manager that technically all I needed was the DPS number.

also she is asking me about prescription pads, what does it need to have in it to be legitimate? as far as my information and my SP specifically....does he need to be listed on them? how does that work?

sorry////IM a newbie

thanks in advance

Did a quick search (also because I plan on moving back to Texas eventually and wanted to see if anything changed). I trained in Texas, and it looks like nothing has changed since then. This is from the AAPA's report on PA state laws, published Jan 2011:

Also, just out of curiosity, if you don't have a DEA, how did you write for Norco/Xanax and other scheduled drugs?

PRESCRIBING/DISPENSING

A physician may delegate the administering, providing or carrying out a prescription drug order as authorized through standing medical orders, delegation orders, or other orders and protocols defined by the medical board at a site serving a medically underserved population (defined as a medically underserved area, health manpower shortage area, certified rural health clinic, state public health or family planning clinic, or other site designated by the health department) or at physician’s primary practice site (a practice location where the physician spends the majority of time, a hospital or long term care facility where the PA is authorized to practice, an established patient’s residence, any place where the physician is physically present with the PA, or a location where a PA practices on-site with the physician more than 50% of the time and provides health care services for established patients or charity health care), or at an alternate practice site which meets certain criteria.

Protocols and other orders need not describe the exact steps that a PA must take with respect to each specific condition, disease or symptom and may state the types or categories of medications that may be prescribed or not prescribed.

"Carrying out a prescription drug order" means to complete a Rx presigned by the delegating physician or the signing of a prescription by a PA designated by the physician as a delegated prescriber by providing the patient’s name and address; drug to be dispensed; directions to patient; number of refills; name, address and phone of physician and PA; and PA identification number.

Delegated prescribing may include legend drugs and Schedule III-V controlled medications. Controlled substance prescriptions or refills limited to 90 days; refill must be authorized after consultation with supervising physician. Prescription for controlled medications for child under 2 years of age requires consultation with supervising physician.

Physicians in public health clinics may delegate to PA the acts of administering or providing dangerous drugs. "Providing" means to supply 1 or more doses in properly labeled suitable container.

PAs delegated controlled prescriptive authority must register with the state Department of Public Safety (DPS) and DEA.

TEX. REV. CIV. STAT. ANN §157.002-.057

http://www.aapa.org/uploadedFiles/content/The_PA_Profession/Federal_and_State_Affairs/Resource_Items/Texas%202011.pdf

• 4 months later...

As I understand it, and I don't have a DEA number either since all I write for are "dangerous", non-controlled medications; I don't see how you can write for "controlled", or scheduled drugs without one. It is my understanding that controlled/scheduled are one and the same (I-V). To be able to write for controlled/scheduled drugs you would need to have a DEA license number and be registered with the State of Texas. Schedule II drugs require a triplicate form, or at least used to the last time I saw one. We don't prescribe narcs, or other similar medications in my practice setting as a routine. Since I'm always looking around and find that some positions make mention that they want an applicant to already have their DEA number, I'm not sure that I understand how one would get one without the approval of a SP beforehand? Someone care to also educate this old soul?

TA, what I find most amazing is that you're out-of-state and yet maintain your status as a listed "P1". Congratulations on that (others have no clue what this references) .

What I don't understand is how are new PA graduates not understanding that a DEA license is necessary to write for controlled substances? Are our PA schools dropping the ball when it comes to educating students on how to get the DEA, their state license, and other information needed to start out right. Maybe I was fortunate, but my program had an actual class before we graduated on how to navigate the licensing system. We were given detailed information on the state that my program was in, and how to look up the information for other states. I just don't get it.

ex pharm tech here...unfortunately, many insurance companies will reject a Rx claim if there is no prescriber DEA, NPI, or both depending on the company. As stated above DEA is required for all controls. Also, many dumb new techs think the DEA is needed for all Rx's. Also, having the DEA makes life easier on the pharmacy. many pharmacy data systems make it the best/easiest way to locate a prescriber. Just the first few things that come to mind... feel free to ask any other pharmacy questions that come to mind, got some time to kill, and cant sleep!

What I don't understand is how are new PA graduates not understanding that a DEA license is necessary to write for controlled substances? Are our PA schools dropping the ball when it comes to educating students on how to get the DEA, their state license, and other information needed to start out right. Maybe I was fortunate, but my program had an actual class before we graduated on how to navigate the licensing system. We were given detailed information on the state that my program was in, and how to look up the information for other states. I just don't get it.

Two things:

1) I know the PA program I went to in Texas does go over this. The TMB actually gives a presentation as well.

2) many of my class mates did not pay attention as they said they were going to work out of state.

Two things:

1) I know the PA program I went to in Texas does go over this. The TMB actually gives a presentation as well.

2) many of my class mates did not pay attention as they said they were going to work out of state.

So they missed the info on DEA rules! Keep in mind if you work in more than one state, you must have a DEA license for each state. If you work for federal gov't such as Indian Health Service or VA you may be okay with a DEA license from any state and a PA license from any state. It depends on how you are hired...i.e. direct tribal hire vs. IHS commissioned hire, etc. Also, when I started working on a reservation, I could have gotten my DEA license for free as long as I would never work at a non-tribal facility. Since I was working two jobs, one tribal, one non-tribal I paid for my DEA license. I don't know if that program still exists. The DEA web site has lots of info and answers to questions on licensing.

Archived