MIP & PA School

Hey guys.

How severe will a MIP (minor in possession of alcohol) received my freshman year in college inhibit my chances of being accepted into PA school provided this is my only offense, I maintain good academic standing and I fulfill and exceed the minimum requirements of the institution? Also, if I'm not convicted and I have the issue expunged following a diversion program, are my chances still seriously hindered?

I'm seriously worried this is going to ruin my ability to pursue my goal of becoming a PA.

I appreciate any input.

If we say it will kill your chances, will you then decide to do poorly or drop out of school and give up on higher education?

The grammar and tense you chose gave me the impression this happened recently. Worrying about your chances at something three or four years down the line is pretty silly. SO MUCH can transpire between now and then. You are asking for us to lays odds on you when the only thing we know about you is that you goofed. Spend time proving yourself then ask about your chances..if you're even interested in PA school then.

Even if your chances are compromised a good GPA will still leave SCADS of options open for you.

I know people with MIPs who got in. It's not a deal breaker, worry about the other stuff you need to do to get in. I forget at which point you have to disclose it because thank goodness it never applied to me but I think CASPA asks about misdemeanors? Make sure the rest of your app is great so if/when they interview you and ask about it you can say it was a mistake at 18, you learned a lot, and did your best to redeem yourself with a great GPA, tons of volunteering, HCE, etc.

You could even try to find some anti-underage drinking volunteering to do so you can say you tried to help other kids not end up in the same situation. I volunteered with a local high school and chaperoned sober after-prom parties, Halloween parties, and stuff like that.

Um I don't think they do background investigations LOL :D

My classmates and I have had to submit background investigations. The school will have them done on you. Would you want to attend a program that DOESN"T run background checks? How awkward and potentially detrimental to let someone into the program, then put them in a position of power as a clinician when they may have a known history of being abusive...

So while they may not run them during the application process they will eventually find out if you are accepted. I understand the urge to keep things on the down low but it's so much better to be up front about things.

Archived