Personal Statements revised - any last min. advice?

As a child, I recall my father on more than one occasion being rushed to the emergency room. I was too young to understand why he had a tracheostomy and needed assistance of a mechanical ventilator. While my mother was pregnant with me, he had a freak diving accident and became a quadriplegic. After an eight year battle and many hardships, he passed away after his weakened body couldn’t fight off pneumonia. I have often reflected back to this difficult time. The tragedies my father went through and my helplessness as a youth instilled in me a motivation and passion to not only better myself, but to investigate a life in medicine to better others.

During my undergrad I became an arterial blood gas technician. I worked with patients doing arterial blood gases and electrocardiograms in clinics, intensive care units, and the emergency department. During this time I observed and asked questions to many doctors, physician assistants, and paraprofessionals learning what their roles as medical professionals entailed. My responsibilities as a blood gas technician were limited, and I desired to work closely with patients, spend time with them, and assist them during their time of need. This directed me towards respiratory therapy. I was accepted my junior year and dove into the process of expanding my medical understanding. The rigorous curriculum demanded strict dedication to succeed. Upon completing the respiratory program, I received a job offer from the University of Utah Hospital where I currently work with their talented medical teams.

Being a registered respiratory therapist has allowed me to develop a greater commitment, respect, and empathy for the patients I care for. I have gained a greater understanding of the various challenges, not only mentally, but physically that each day brings in the medical field. Respiratory therapy has been invaluable, giving me experiences to: provide patients relief from an asthma exacerbation, to making quick decisions in the intensive care unit, all while helping a patient and his/her family understand why intubation was necessary. These experiences have given me real insight into the medical profession and have guided me towards becoming a physician assistant. I became fascinated with the physician assistants I work with. They spend plenty of time getting to know their patients, and are able to discuss the patient’s needs and fears. They also formulate comprehensive treatment plans. This conforms to my goals to further my education, clinical skills, critical thinking, diagnostic abilities, and the ability to work closely with patients.

Upon graduation from a physician assistant program, my education will not cease. Each day will be a new learning experience and each patient will have their own challenges. Staying current with new medical techniques and procedures will be essential. The need to work cohesively on a healthcare team will be vital to providing the best patient care possible. This will be accomplished by working closely with a physician and other trained professionals, and by knowing my own limitations and seeking the guidance of others.

Through goal setting, I have advanced my education while becoming a valuable asset to the University of Utah Hospital medical team as a respiratory therapist. This step on my journey to become a physician assistant has presented me with countless challenges and opportunities to further hone my abilities and develop the tools needed to succeed. I began as an inexperienced blood gas technician and transformed into an experienced respiratory therapist who uses his skillset to competently handle the many issues that arise in the intensive care unit, perform under pressure in emergencies, and show my patients the love and respect they deserve. Becoming a physician assistant may be the greatest challenge I will ever face, a challenge I am ready for. I welcome the difficult road that lie ahead, and understand the rewarding possibilities that come from this journey. I know that through studious preparation, hard work, and dedication, anything can be achieved. I will become a physician assistant to further myself, the medical profession, and to help those around me.

Archived