Made a stupid and selfish mistake; DUI in didactic year

Long story short I made a stupid and selfish decision/mistake and was arrested for a DUI in California. I’m incredibly ashamed and lucky no one got hurt/damaged. 

I’m currently in physician assistant school, 3rd semester and almost done with didactic and I am in good academic standing. 

I talked to my lawyer and he shot it straight with me; most likely I’m getting convicted based off the story I relayed him. He will most likely get me the lowest punishment since I’m a student and it’s my first offense. 

Here’s what I’m worried about, do I tell my school now or later? 

A) Tell them now before the court date in late June. Im leaning away from this because albeit small there is a possibility it gets dismissed (not banking on it). 

B) once my lawyers get the full police report mid-May we can make a decision whether we try and get it dismissed or plea. In the event we plea, I tell the program I’m essentially being convicted mid-semester and just face whatever consequences they give me. A pro to this would be I could start probation sooner and then get it expunged in 18 months (by the time I graduate; if I’m still in the program) 

C)have my case pushed forward to next year; I would be finished with didactic and starting clinicals. The only issue is that before clinicals they typically do a second background check which would show I have been arrested but not convicted. 

Any advice? I personally feel like I’m at the mercy of my program and should probably tell them sooner than later, but I see that pushing it forward allows me to complete more things and maybe sunken cost fallacy for the program shows up? Idk I made an extremely dumb decision and now have to pay the consequences

Not sure why your post is in a faded gray font that's a little hard to read.

It's a tough call but I doubt you are under any obligation to report the situation unless and until you are convicted. At the same time, don't delay until clinicals start and this could very well be a factor in getting your license at the end of the road.

Schools usually have written rules and procedures; they don't like to leave themselves open to lawsuits if they can help it. You could probably research your program's rules (should be in your student handbook), share it with your lawyer, and see what they could do about you if you get convicted of a DUI or a lesser charge. It might be a tool in a plea negotiation.

Learn your lesson though. Perhaps volunteer to take a program for offenders now, rather than waiting. That might show remorse and the will to change your life.

Good luck.

• Like 1