Are they looking for specific applicants?

I'm a reapplicant planning to apply this cycle (2022-2023), and I was very intrigued by University of Washington's MEDEX PA Program. I did notice in their "Program Goals" highlighted on their website that they hope to contribute to "regional primary care offices" with their graduates. As I am more interested in emergency medicine and my experiences show this, I was wondering how much this would affect the success of my application? Additionally, I am not from the region, but from the Midwest. I have visited Seattle and love the area so much that I want to relocate there, but I would like to know if they show regional preference for applicants.

Thanks for all your insight!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Experience, a solid GPA, good supplemental and CASPA essay's and a good interview session will get you in

Do they have a preference for local candidates by campus location? Yes, but they are more interested in filling class seats then anything else.

You will know what answer to provide when asked

Don't hesitate. Apply.

Hi, I’m in the current didactic class in Seattle. I was chatting with classmates and I think that they really do accept applicants from outside of WWAMI if it’s a good fit. For example maybe like 30% of the class is from the east coast/south/Midwest/California. MEDEX has also added a statement to their website over the last 2 or 3 years stating “It is our goal to develop and cultivate a destination PA program…” and I think that is reflected in the cohort. 

regarding EM, there are many students with er tech / EMT experience as their main PCE, so I don’t think that would necessarily be a negative on your application. 

good luck!