legal advice

There are medical lawyers everywhere, you need to go online for your area and see who specializes and who is better at it. Sometimes you can even find reviews...like on Angies list. You may have to ask around, docs who are sued many times settle out of court. I hope this doesn't have to do with your sp resenting paying you...You may just have to ask around.

There are medical lawyers everywhere, you need to go online for your area and see who specializes and who is better at it. Sometimes you can even find reviews...like on Angies list. You may have to ask around, docs who are sued many times settle out of court. I hope this doesn't have to do with your sp resenting paying you...You may just have to ask around.

thanks, marilyn,. no, it has to do with performing procedures "involving ionizing radiation" (don't really want to say what procedure, specifically) outside of my state's "scope of practice" guidelines. I just found out about this but have been performing/interpreting procedures "involving ionizing radiation" since I started with this practice. I'm good at it, but I'm not sure if he's at risk for allowing me to do it, or if my license is at risk now that I know it falls outside the scope of practice. If I don't do it, I'm kind of half a provider b/c it is so key to our pt evaluations, and def streamlines the day....and I doubt they would fire me if I tell them I can't do it b/c it seems they would get in trouble in the first place for teaching me to do it and allowing me to perform this procedure. I also see in the scope of practice that I'm not allowed to render a formal medical dx based on radiological images...and I do it all the time with our pts. so...

I don't want to quit b/c there goes my paycheck, but I am looking around for another position. in the meantime, what should I do? the imaging is kind of essential for some pt work ups. I like doing it, too. just don't know who's at risk in this situation -- him, or my license.

I also suspect their imaging suite is not under the oversite of any state or federal agencies, and I am still waiting for him to give us our exposure badges (even though I doubt there is any agency that will be checking our exposure annually!). so I think he's running a slightly less-than-kosher operation.

how much sh*t are private practices able to get away with, I wonder???

Boy oh boy here's another example of an excellent PA doing excellent work who's hands are now being tied by the laws of the land. I was at a conference once and I was talking with a doc who had a cma. This was many yrs ago when cmas were pretty much unheard of. I asked him what his cma is allowed to do. His answer was anything he ask her to do. He covered for her. She completely functioned like a RN. I wouldn't quit b/f I got a specific answer from a medical lawyer esp if you really love your work. I've known many doctors that work in the gray areas when it comes to their private practice....ie cooking their books. You're going to have to protect yourself and ask a medical lawyer, there may be a way to work around it...and then maybe not, but at least you will know and your medical license will be protected. That's your bread and butter.

Archived