Question to Students

I heard that you have to major in something for the 4 years.

So that means that if I wanted to.

I could major in nursing and after that i could become a nurse or enter the Pa program.

Am i correct???? biggrin.gif

Or do I have to do Biology or something like that. Because i don't want to do nursing and then find out that I am missing some classes to enter the PA program :xD:

Because i would really major in nursing then go into Pa program.

Also if anything happens i could get a job as a nurse.

Thanks a lot for answering.

In many institutions, nursing prereqs are not the same as for other majors. Some PA schools also require BioChem, physics, calculus, genetics, etc. In my experience, most nursing programs do not. You'd need to look into the PA programs that interest you and compare their prereqs w/the nursing program you're interested in. With creative planning, it can be done.

If you major in nursing you can take PA pre-req and nursing pre-reqs but that would require extra work. If you don't have any doubts about being a PA, I'd recommend majoring in either something easy that will allow you to take PA pre-requisites, or in Biology which includes all pre-requisites in the program.

• 3 weeks later...

One of my classmates was a nurse for 4 years prior to matriculation, another was an english major. So, reiterating what is said above: it's definitely possible as long as you get all the prereqs, but if you're sold on becoming a PA - why go through the extra work/distraction of nursing? I'm not convinced it will give you any advantage over some biology related major.

Archived