Biology pre-req questions

In order to apply for the RT programs I'm interested in I would have to take Bio 121, 231, Chem 104 and a writing class Fall term. One school requires 121 and the other 231. I had only planned on taking A & P, but really want to broaden my chances for acceptance into an RT program.

My question is, do 121 and 231 touch on the same things? From reading the descriptions, it sounds like they do, but 231 goes much more in depth with dissections. I think I'll be fine with the course load, but I'm not sure what to expect. It seems like a silly question, but I'm just starting out and I'm just not sure.

Hi, those numbers don't mean anything outside of your school, so you need to give more info if you'd like help (one school's Bio 101 is another school's Bio 135 - it's all dependent on the school).

Also, RT school (Resp. Tech?) are you doing that before PA school or did you wander into the wrong forum? :smile:

Respiratory Care before PA is my plan Briepm. That's dependent on actually making it into a program.

BI 121 - Anatomy and Function I

Covers body organization, the cell, skin, blood, heart and circulation, immunity, respiration, bones and skeletal muscles.

BI 231 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I

Examines the structure and function of the human body utilizing a systems approach. Emphasizes body organization, cells, tissues, as well as microscopic and gross anatomy along with the functional roles of the integumentary, skeletal and muscular systems, and concludes with nerve cells and tissue. Concurrent labs include hands-on dissections of a variety of tissues, organs, rats, fetal pigs and/or cats.

Shannon,

Each school is somewhat different, but generally the 100 level courses are an introduction to the course material whereas 200 and 300 level classes dive into the area of study in more depth. My own recommendation is to take the BIO 231 because you will gain some really nice hand-eye motor skills doing the dissections, and the anatomy lab really helped me make sure I had a full understanding of the lecture when I was taking care of my prerequisites. You'll want to investigate which PA schools you would realistically attend if you were awarded an interview (or better yet acceptance!) and make a checklist for yourself for the prerequisites required listed on their website. Best of luck to you!

Archived