Indian Health Service Advice/Info

I have recently been selected as an IHS scholar. I have some idea of what to expect but thought I would ask anyone with experience if you have any advice or helpful information. If you have worked for IHS, I would like to hear from you. Please let me know how it went for you good or bad. I don't expect it to be all roses. But I do want to go in with my eyes open to what I have in store. I start PA school tomorrow so I am excited, nervous, overwhelmed, etc.

Don't worry about what your INH experience will be like at this point, just get some good rotations in rural health and substance abuse. Enjoy school, keep your eyes open to other opportunities as well, your two or four years of experience will go fast and you can move on to something else after that! I haven't worked in IHS, but I did work in community health, and it was one of the best jobs I had! You have very little resources to refer patients that are complicated, so you will end up seeing them yourself instead and forced to learn! I learned so much about HIV, Hepatitis C, wounds, non-compliant diabetics, and lots of spanish! Good luck to you.

Archived