unsure of action plan for the future

Guest carolanimal

Guest carolanimal

So I have submitted my app to over 10 schools. I'm a respiratory therapist who, if I get to matriculate, will have about 9,000 HCE hours under my belt by the time PA school would begin. However, due to my schedule at work and financial constraints, I've done the majority of my coursework online or through my community college. I have an okay GPA (3.4) and okay science GPA (3.63). I made B's in Chem 2, Genetics and O Chem I. I have A's in all of my other classes. But I'm really starting to feel that academically I have fallen short. I'm not going to get in anywhere because I haven't proven myself. Does anyone have any words of encouragement or advice? It seems like if I don't get in this year, I'm going to have to quit my job and do a post-bacc at a 4 year college. I'm at a loss since it's all getting so expensive and I have so many bills to pay for. I'm really starting to regret becoming a RT. I feel like I should have focused on getting the pre-reqs done at a four year instead. At the time, it just didn't seem financially smart though. Now I've made B's because I've had to work 12 hour shifts in a crazy ICU and then head straight to class for 4 hours. I really need some advice (or maybe ativan?)

You know the answer...BREATHE!!!

I got in with a lesser GPA. RT is a solid work history to springboard into PAdom. Your application shows your work ethic. PA schools still do love the experienced applicant.

Trust yourself, take a breath, do a couple of shots and take a hot bath. Get back to work and wait for the calls to come.

Guest carolanimal

I'm hoping this wine will help! I know that it's a bit to early to tell to see if I don't get anywhere but still...I'm freakin out! I honestly wouldn't mind quitting my job and going full time for school to get more upper level science courses...it's the debt that is daunting. I already have thousands in student loan debt...I'm not sure what to do here.

You look like a great applicant to me. Many schools don't mind the pre-req's being done online or at a community college, as long as anything with a lab did the lab portion in a real classroom. You already have the grades & a great job for getting HCE, so I would begin to focus on other things that will make you attractive as an applicant, like shadowing or volunteering, if you haven't already. These don't cost anything but your time really, & many schools love to see this on an app.

Archived