PS- Comments/Criticism appreciated-- Thank you!

Here is my almost final draft of my personal statement. Let me know what you think! Thanks everyone!

Passion is manifested in many ways depending on the person, the attraction, the goal, and the purpose. Throughout childhood, my passion was to become a healer. Growing up in a close-knit Irish family, my grandfather claimed he always knew when we weren’t feeling well because he could see it in our eyes. He would say, “let’s get those Irish eyes smiling,” and then sing an Irish tune to bring the twinkle back into our eyes. He ignited my passion for healing; I wanted to bring the twinkle back into others eyes, too. Needless to say, I’m a terrible singer, but I had a different talent-- I loved nurturing animals and people back to health. Insisting I needed practice being a “doctor,” I brought countless creatures into our house, including birds, turtles, even a baby mouse (my Mom was not pleased with that patient). When my brothers were ill or hurt, I took upon the role as doctor once again, making slings out of blankets and giving skittles as medicine. For me, Ralph Waldo Emerson said it perfectly, “Passion rebuilds the world for the youth. It makes all things alive and significant.”

As I got older, my fascination with health and medicine continued and stimulated my enthusiasm for a career in the medical field. I knew I would find joy and fulfillment in an occupation involving diagnostics because of the puzzle-like process and the learning that is essential in advancing each case; most importantly, I wanted to help people improve their overall well-being. I did research on various medical careers, talked to physicians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners, and thought about my own experiences as a patient. When I was treated by PA’s, I always felt like they listened to me and discussed matters in a straightforward, yet understanding manner. There was a similar and unique type of care PA’s shared; a warm and unassuming care that I hope to provide. Additionally, I want to keep my family a priority in my life. I hope to have the ability to help my parents as they age, be an involved mother, and have a strong relationship with my spouse. I realized being a PA would be the best way for me to achieve these goals, so I left for college with the dream to become a physician assistant.

I believe I would be a strong and positive addition to your program-- I have the passion, as well as the dedication. During my undergraduate studies, I worked hard to earn exemplary grades as a human physiology major and balance a healthy personal life, while upholding several jobs and volunteer positions. My experience working in an internal medicine-pulmonary lab helped me gain a different, yet beneficial perspective on the medical field. It broadened my understanding of the science behind medicine and provided an inside look into a variety of medical careers. I also have experience as a nursing aide caring for patients in their homes. Each of my clients had unique personalities and medical conditions, which created the ideal environment for learning important interpersonal and medical skills. I enjoyed building relationships with my patients and knowing that their lives were enhanced by my care. I am currently working as a nursing assistant on the medical cardiology unit at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics and have gained yet another beneficial perspective of the medical field working in a large, dynamic setting. I am learning every day, and am proud to be part of such an amazing team. My job continually inspires me as I look forward to the day when I can offer more expertise to the patients I meet as a PA.

In addition to my work experience, I regularly attended Pre-PA student organization meetings and by Junior year I had become a co-president of the organization. The PA career fascinates me and I enjoy learning more about the profession, meeting various PAs that speak at our meetings, and connecting with peers that share my interests. I currently volunteer at the Iowa City Free Medical Clinic as a patient guide as well. I discuss medical conditions with the patient before they see the attending practitioner, giving me the opportunity to experience the extraordinary trust that a patient gives a medical caregiver; it is truly remarkable. This experience has intensified my respect for healthcare providers and my passion to become one myself. I am grateful for the humbling experiences the clinic has given me. All of my experiences, through school, work, volunteering, helping with the Pre-PA organization, and shadowing different PAs has exposed me to the vast possibilities the PA career holds, and that concept continues to be exhilarating and motivating. I believe that everyone deserves good health, or as others say, smiling eyes, and I hope to apply my passion of healing to this purpose as a physician assistant.

Archived