2021-2022 Physician Assistants in Forensic Science?

Hi Everyone,

I am so close to starting PA school, and I have developed this fascination with forensic science. Ideally I would love a career where I can do both as I am an EMT right now and love the medical field.

Anyone have experience with that or any advice for me?

Sometimes I am not sure which path I should take. I am aware of Pathology Assistants but I would not want to work on cadavers ALONE, a combination of that and actual patients who are alive is a better gig for me.

I am also aware of RNs and PAs working with sexual assault examinations. 

Any input is appreciated, thank you 🙂

Hi there- I currently work in child maltreatment research. I share your interest, although more on the physical maltreatment side. A lot of my shadowing/HCE involves clinical investigation and research of child maltreatment physical abuse cases in the hospital. Although I have a stronger interest in physical abuse vs sexual abuse, but have worked closely with medical teams that do both. Most places that do forensic exams either hire NPs and MDs. I have been told they would like to hire PAs, but in the 6 years I have been working in this field I have yet to meet a PA in this field. I hear Tufts in Boston has a PA on their child protection team. You can also reach out to any directors at children's advocacy centers asking what they think and how they feel. The field is growing. I don't think it's a non option.