Delaware FPA for NP; PA Students need to advocate

PA students, your predecessors have held on to the idea of how important it is to always and forever remain assistant.  This while the nursing lobby has promoted and passed full practice authority in more than half of US states. You are going into a job market that is difficult, especially in oversaturated and NP independent locations.  Older PA's who have had their jobs for years or a lot of experience do not see a problem.  YOU WILL HAVE A PROBLEM if you do not begin advocating for your profession. Demand states to change legislation.  I live in an NP independent state and PA's are being turned down, not because lack of experience, even very experienced PA's turned down only because they are not independent and NP's are.  My office manager said they will hire PA only as last resort.   Even physicians see the end of PA's coming, they do not help you, they seldom own own practice and hospital goes for ease of hire, not knowledge and experience.  The following was posted by a physician in response to Delaware legislation "Does make me wonder if PA as a profession has a looming expiration date".  Some of older PA's have been concerned about this for many years, but not enough to make a change.  You are young in your career, better fight or you may not see retirement as a PA. It was a great profession, however, the lackadaisical, all is fine attitude has and will continue kill future prospects professionally.  Do not assume surgical specialties will always be there.  Local hospital turned down PA with 4 years surgical experience because NP just easier to hire, requirement was NP had to get first assist certification in one year.  While this is not the norm, yet, it is happening.  I don't mean this as a dooms day post, but a call for students and new PA's to really look at what is happening.  As new PA you shouldn't have independence, but  in some positions, after 3-5 years and maybe a specialty certification,  it is  doable. Heck, less educated NP's are getting FPA in much less time.  They obviously aren't concerned about lack of education and experience, PA's have more stringent and consistent education and could require longer supervision prior to independence, that's if you want a career in 15 years.