Supporting a significant other through PA school

Hi everybody,

My boyfriend of many years just started PA school. He has been working on getting to this spot in his life since I have known him and I am so proud. He is only a few weeks in and he is so stressed out and it is hard to watch. I want to be as supportive as possible and help carry some of his stress for him but I don’t know what to do!! I try to keep the house as quiet as possible so he can study. I trying not to demand anything of him like fixing things when they are broken like we are so used to him doing. And I’m  trying to keep simple things like the house cleaned and meals prepared. He usually studies about 11 hours a day and takes very few breaks. Any other tips?? I hate to see him like this! Any other ways I can help him destress?? 
Thanks! 

His stress level is pretty much the norm for PA school.  There's a massive amount of material to learn and most schools require a minimum grade of a B in every course to be allowed to continue.  This will continue through the didactic (classroom) portion of his training.  Then, he'll go through about a year of clinical rotations in a variety of different clinical situations.  This will be like trying to impress a new boss in a totally new job every month or so.  Then there will be some sort of cumulative exam to pass the program.  Then, there will be a period of time studying for boards, a high stakes pass/fail exam.  Then the stress of finding a job, then at least a 3 year learning curve of really learning how to practice that area of medicine.

I'm not trying to scare  you, just trying to warn you that this is the start of a number of years of high stress.  You're doing many excellent supportive things.  I can't recommend much else other than jointly planning some restorative time, like cheap mini-vacations during breaks.  You'll need to find ways to take care of yourself, so that you don't get exhausted too, because the partner with whom you traded support probably won't have much left to give.  That won't mean that the love isn't there, just the energy isn't.

• Thanks 1

Being only a few weeks in sounds like he is probably still adapting. Eventually, he might be able to take a day off over a weekend when there isn't a test early the following week. Having things like that to look forward to can help. Also maybe setting aside an hour or so at the end of the day to sit, talk, and share a drink might be nice.

• Thanks 1