Anyone know schools that accepts ED Scribe hours towards direct patient contact (HCE)

Hi,

ED scribes do not qualify as direct patient contact because you are scribing what the provider dictated, there's no pt contact. It would qualify for employment experience. Be careful what you put down on your application because a scribe does not have medical training.

Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, CA does not require direct patient contact.

PAtobe89,

I am also a scribe in our ED, I took that job after being a Patient Care Tech for over a year. I'm not sure how much you do as a scribe, but I have learned more in 6 months as a scribe than I did as a tech in over a year. As a Scribe, I am learning how to access the patients, I see all results and can correlate the diagnosis from the results. The Doctors teach me things all the time. As a tech, I was having direct contact with them as far as splints, blood draws, EKGs, helping with procedures. Those are valuable skills that need to be learned, but how much of that are you going to do when you become a PA?

I think that schools will soon learn what a scribe does and will except it.

Archived