PA school after Chemical Engineering Degree

I'm currently in chemical engineering undergrad with a 3.27 gpa and around a 3.0 science gpa. My first year of school was bad, but in the last 2 years I've averaged around a 3.8 gpa and have brought my gpa up considerably to a 3.27.  I've done 3 co-ops and starting to doubt if i really want to do engineering. Just hypothetically speaking, would a PA be a viable option for me to try and pursue? I have 1 1/2 years until i graduate with my degree so i have time to sneak any unsatisfied pre-reqs into my schedule. I know a 3.27 is lower than i would like but would they give extra consideration to chemical engineering since its a difficult major(sorry if this sounds ignorant I'm just not sure what all goes into consideration)? I also have time to get HCE over the next year and a half as im a co-op ahead in the engineering program. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

I suspect the trick will be getting good grades in your prereqs and also enough HCE and especially patient care experience.

I was an engineer before becoming a PA and there are aspects of an engineering education that are a real plus. Engineering is more or less the intersection of science with math with maybe some people skills too. Being a PA is the intersection of science with people skills. Your problem-solving skills from engineering can come in handy.

It is not unusual for someone to change fields -- many do it several times -- over a lifetime. I would encourage you to think it through and try out some small steps before you abandon anything before really trying it out. If you co-oped at the same place for multiple tours, maybe it's just the wrong place, for example. And, until you work with a patient on what is definitely not his or her best day, you can't really be sure that that would be right for you either.

Best wishes. The hunt for what you are supposed to be doing next in life is quite the journey. Just don't beat yourself up over it and use those problem-solving skills!

I did corporate IT for 29 years before transitioning to medicine.  My undergrad degree is computer science.  As UGoLong said: if it's your co-ops that are making you not want to be an engineer, you need to get the same data on being a PA to see if that's something you'd really want to do.  You need to shadow a number of PA's in different areas of medicine to see if any of those really appeal to you.  Medicine is very different depending on what you practice: his cardiology work is very different than my EM work in hours, types of patients, etc.  You wouldn't get that feel just by looking at a list of skills required: we both interpret EKG's, labs, and imaging; use many of the same meds; etc.

Get experience in the daily life of your desired profession(s) before spending the years and $'s to get into them.

• Like 1