Pre req's

Guest hubbardtim48

Anatomy, physiology, microbio., basic bio 1/2, cell bio., gen chem. 1/2, orgo 1, biochem 1, genetics, biostats, calc., etc...hard sciences and a few math...thats it! :) Good luck! BTW I just listed (in my opinion) they basic classes for PA school...I would def. add some patho, pharm, gross anat., etc...upper division classes.

Guest hubbardtim48

The only reason I mentioned that is after taking it I could think about math in a different way and it truly helped me in doing equations in my head rather than paper...that is the ONLY reason I said that! haha I hear you on the no calc thing, but for me it helped....:)

Sadly nearly every school varies on the exact prerequisites, so looks at the websites of schools you're interested in to figure out what they require. I've got an excel page with possible prereqs vs schools I'm interested in and which prereqs are required for which school. It helped me organize what I'd already taken vs what I needed to take and helped me plan what classes made sense to most efficiently cover the prereqs (particularly for those schools with "or" prereqs such as organic chem OR biochem). Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice. I started to do a little research, first I have to do a few more science classes, before anything, such as a post bacc per med type program. The patient healthcare contact I have, 5 years of 911 EMS in NYC before I law enforcement.

Step One: Take a look at all the schools that you are potentially interested in.

Step Two: Look at the pre-reqs that they all have in common and not in common

Step Three: Find a happy median of pre-reqs that you can realistically accomplish before the application cycle that you are shooting for.

Step Four: Narrow down the school choices based on above. Focus on other aspects that these school are looking for. Make final list.

This is the way I did it.

My pre-reqs: Bio I, Anatomy, Physiology, Micro, Chem I, Chem II, BioChem, Genetics, and Statistics. I had some of these before I started my last push of credits to apply this year.

The focus of my Programs: HCE requirements that are greater than 500 hrs. Values military/community service. When I could, I looked at the average age of accepted applicants (>30). Then of course, reputation of the program, PANCE rates, and class size. I have a BBA so most programs I am looking at are Masters level. Not all the schools are perfect fits, but most have some the attributes that I think would be a good program for me.

I am applying to 14 programs. Much thought went into each selection.

Archived