Final Draft

I've always had an insatiable curiosity towards science and health as long as I can remember. When I was younger, I remember watching surgical programs on the Discovery Health Channel and being extremely intrigued, even though I really didn't understand exactly what I was watching. I believe something this simple is what sparked my curiosity and interest into health care. This proved to have overwhelming influence towards my choices in life and my career goals.

I've always known I wanted to be a part of something bigger than myself, to be able to make a difference. I've always felt that I wanted to somehow be a part of medicine, but wasn't exactly sure of what, or how. This innate feeling of wanting to help others and to be a part of a greater good has been very influential in my life choices. With this "calling", I joined the Air Force.

During Technical School I was voted class leader. I became entrusted with the responsibility of the entire class. I have never before had a responsibility of this magnitude. I felt that I easily grew into this role. As class leader, I had to ensure that the entire class was excelling physically and academically. During this training, a huge emphasis was placed on combat and survival. Here, I was exposed to first aid and emergency medicine training that turned my curiosity and interests of medicine into a passion. During my departure from the military, I left with a focus and desire greater than ever. I knew that working in medicine would be a perfect fit for me.

After returning to college, I quickly switched my major to Pre-Med. I felt these classes would best prepare me for Physician Assistant School. During my undergraduate years I knew it was essential to gain as much medical and health care experience that I could prior to graduate school. My first taste of hands on patient care came while I was a Medical Assistant in a private physician's office. Here, I worked under a physician that shared her years of medical knowledge and experience. I was exposed to a vast range of new medical terminology, procedures, and treatments. I feel that I grew immensely both personally and professional during this time.

To help increase my health care knowledge and experience, I obtained additional employment as a Medical Technician in a long-term care facility. My primary duties were to dispense medications and to ensure resident well-being and quality of life. This position allowed me to absorb new medical knowledge and new skills unique to a long-term care facility. Working here has allowed me fully appreciate the impact of losing one's own independence as we age. During interactions with my residents, I have grown to respect and admire all that they have been through. As a result I have developed an excellent bedside manner, tolerance, patience, but most of all great respect and gratitude. Conversing and treating my residents has not only provided a health care environment to grow in, but I have also grown and matured on a personal level. These experiences further cemented my decision to become a Physician Assistant.

On my path to becoming a Physician Assistant I have gained insights and perspectives about myself. This road by no means was easy, as I have had to make very difficult decisions. During these times I had to prioritize what was most important to me, and temporarily put my career goals on hold. While serving in the military, I have had to put my studies on hold to fulfill my obligations. My military training has taught me incredible life lessons, including perseverance and determination. These life lessons have allowed me to push through any obstacles that I have faced.

Soon after separating from the military, I chose to take time off to be with my ailing Grandfather. This time spent beside my Grandfather has given me a unique perspective into what it's like to be a patient. Not everyone experiences a loss in the family the same way; I have taken the positive from it. My commitment and passion for health care was only solidified more from this experience.

My life experiences have made me the person I am today. I have experienced loss and endured hardships. I feel at this point in my life, both my personal experiences and health care knowledge allows me better connect with a patient and empathize with them. I feel that I am very prepared to take on the role as a Physician Assistant. All I need is the opportunity.

Archived