My 250 word PS. Please critique. (it's short and easy!)

This is my personal statement for MUSC. They allow only 250 words, your comments are greatly appreciated. First, a question. Should I write out "physician assistant" every time, or can I abbreviate as "PA". What about RN and EMT?

In 2008 my family watched my father slowly turn yellow, weak, and very ill. While waiting on a liver transplant the prominent face in his patient care was that of a physician assistant. His treatment and recovery profoundly impacted our family and my decision to pursue the PA career path. This decision was also influenced by my longstanding love of science, and the encouragement of my mother, a compassionate thirty-two year registered nurse.

I believe my education and work experience have helped to develop many of the qualities necessary for a PA. As a student teacher I logged hundreds of teaching hours, in which I learned people management, and communication skills. I have 1,500+ hours as a transport EMT, providing a chance to learn patient relations, medical assessment, and transfer of care. I also have 2,500+ as an ER Tech, which has been a goldmine of new skills and experiences.

Over the past years I have shadowed, and worked many shifts alongside PA's in emergency medicine. I have spent shadowing hours in neurosurgery, and interventional radiology. Thanks to this experience I believe have a good general idea of the PA's role and scope of practice. I believe that the PA field would be a perfect fit for me, which is why I have tried to make myself a perfect fit for PA school. I am excited about the future and look forward to my education and career as I pursue my goal to become a physician assistant.

Archived