An almost finalized PS!

I had the opportunity to observe a valve replacement in open-heart surgery while shadowing a cardiac Physician Assistant (PA). The operating room mirrored a critical environment where the role of the PA thrived and I admired how the interaction between the PA and surgeon gave balance to the entire surgery. It was here I gained a new level of appreciation for medicine. As a patient care technician (PCT) in the Progressive Cardiac Unit, I am actively involved with the care of these open-heart patients. I enjoy seeing the progression of the patient post-surgery and it moves me to not only experience what people can overcome, but to be a part of it. I came to fully understand my reasons to pursue the PA profession through my experiences shadowing, volunteering, and as a PCT.

As a patient care technician, I am gaining more confidence in hands-on clinical care. With 10 to 20 patients in my care per shift, I understand the importance of bedside manner as well as my responsibilities of analyzing vital signs, providing basic care, and communicating the needs of patients. A pre-heart catheterization patient told me “a disability is not a disability until you make it one”. I took notice his optimism over his amputated leg and use of a prosthetic one. Often, pre-operative patients have a sense of fear before going into surgery, which sometimes manifests physically increasing blood pressure, temperature, or heart rate. I will never forget that lesson and always attempt to influence a positive state of mind. Bedside interaction with patients is one of my greatest learning opportunities and I will carry the values learned here as a PA.

Although instilling a sense of hope into patients is essential to wellness, the complexity of disease and mental status is a challenge. For me, the hardest patients to care for are the ones who no longer have the capacity to welcome a sense of optimism. Working as a PCT has confirmed my ability to work independently as well as part of a team. The PA profession is an avenue that will allow me to exercise these skills to provide the highest quality of care for these kinds of patients. Thus, fully immersing myself into patient care has allowed me to learn invaluable experiences, exercise critical thinking, as well as develop a deeper appreciation for the sciences. Furthermore, I developed a stronger balance and focus between working full time and continuing education by taking graduate science classes.

I find it most gratifying to be involved in the progression of the patient’s care. In shadowing a physician of physical medicine at the VA hospital, I enjoyed observing her teamwork with rehabilitation patients to help them gain functionality in everyday living tasks. She taught me the psyche of the patient is critical to that person’s growth and functionality. Improvement in these patients was the result of the interactions within the rehabilitation team. In addition to having an active role in a person’s diagnosis, treatment, and preventative care, the availability to consult with physicians will result in quality of care. The medical model involving the interaction of a team of healthcare professionals is congruent with my view that medicine is a collaborative role.

By shadowing PAs of different specialties, I realize the dynamics of the profession creates an environment I can excel in. While shadowing an orthopedic physician assistant, I saw patients of all ages with chronic joint pain to post surgical consultations. Not only did I observe open-heart surgery, I also worked alongside cardiac PAs while they made rounds to cardiac patients. Regardless of specialty, I recognize the versatility of roles as a PA equally challenging as exciting. Passion is a significant characteristic for my career. Markedly, in addition to practicing medicine, many PAs have an active role in activities that help the surrounding community or participate in events that promote the PA profession.

As a PA, I hope to inspire the same positivity that I know will contribute to wellness and the quality of someone’s health. Being a part of this high demand profession will give me the satisfaction of constant growth and to serve in specializations that are needed as well as interest me. In today’s dynamic healthcare, focus has turned to finding solutions that will alleviate physician shortages just as initiated by Dr. Eugene Stead in 1965. Likewise in that open-heart surgery, I believe the physician-PA team will promote an even better strategy for patient satisfaction and continue to be a valuable asset to the future of healthcare. I am confident that this is my vehicle to improve patient care and that I have developed the maturity to undertake these responsibilities and pursue the PA career.

Archived