DOES W-2 PA NEED TO HAVE INDEPENDENT MALPRACTICE INSURANCE

Hi all! 

I am an urgent care physician assistant (w-2) employee where company provides with malpractice insurace.

I am about to start a new part time job as a psychiatric PA (16hr/wk) and as a W-2 employee and they require for me to have a malpractice insurance on my own. 

I thought company needs to provide you with malpractice if you are w-2 employee, and you get your own malpractice insurance if you are 1099 independent contractor. 

I couldn't find a clear answer online. 

If so, any recommendation of which malpractice company is well known and reputable? I have never had my own before. 

Any answer will be very appreciated. 

W2 just means that you are an employee and not a contractor, so they will pay half the FICA taxes and they tell you when to work. What benefits you get like malpractice, CME, PTO, retirements, etc. is completely dependent on your employer and the terms you negotiate.

I don't know the malpractice carriers names off the top of my head (I think CM&F was one) but I would google some options and get 3-4 quotes before choosing one.

35 minutes ago, AbeTheBabe said:

W2 just means that you are an employee and not a contractor, so they will pay half the FICA taxes and they tell you when to work. What benefits you get like malpractice, CME, PTO, retirements, etc. is completely dependent on your employer and the terms you negotiate.

I don't know the malpractice carriers names off the top of my head (I think CM&F was one) but I would google some options and get 3-4 quotes before choosing one.

Thank you so much for clarification.