Want to be a PA, but not sure what path to take

Hi, 

I am currently in my junior year of my undergrad program. I am majoring in Biomedical Sciences with a double minor in Chemistry and Psychology. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 and I am hoping to improve that during my last three semesters of college. I am at a crossroad right now because I do not have enough clinical hours to be a good candidate to apply to PA school just yet. This past summer I became a Certified Phlebotomist so I have a way to get my clinical hours just not enough time between now and when I should be applying. I am wondering if I should either take a gap year to rack up my clinical hours or if I should get my masters degree as well as work during that time. If any PA's could offer me some suggestions on what to do that would be awesome! Also, if you think a masters degree would be good, what could I master in?? I am really leaning towards getting my masters degree, but I am just not sure yet. 

I also know that I need to start shadowing to get more hands on experience, so any advice on that as well would be great. With this whole covid thing it has made it really difficult to have a clear idea of what I want to do. 

You do not need to get a masters prior to application, and unless it is something that you really want to do anyways it will probably end up just being a waste of time and money. Your GPA is average; with an otherwise strong application it should not be a problem. Spend this year getting PCE hours, shadowing, and volunteering. You might want to take a few extra classes that interest you to keep sharp academically but you do not need to get another degree. And also make sure to take some time to travel, pick up a new hobby, etc. Be productive, but make sure you enjoy that gap year because PA school is busy and intense. 

• Like 1