HCE Help?

Hi to all,

I'm new to the forum and have been trying to search for some help on what to do to get my HCE. I feel like I am in a unique situation and just want to make the best decision that I can. So I am a recent high school graduate. I am half-way done with my B.S. in Biology and currently working as a chemistry teaching assistant at my university. My current GPA is a 3.84. Science GPA is a 3.96. Since I am so young I feel like I need to have outstanding HCE in order to be accepted into a PA program. I will only be 19 when I complete my B.S. Right now I have no paid healthcare experience, although I do have a lot of volunteering hours at my hospital working in the ER under my belt. I hope to do some PA shadowing this summer as well. I was originally thinking that after I completed my B.S. I would do a short (2 years or less) program to get certified in a health career that would allow me to get some really good HCE hours (and hopefully save up some $). I've been thinking though, and am just not sure what path would be right for me, or the most impressive on my resume. I've heard that becoming an EMT or Medical Assistant are good options. I've heard that some schools like PT aides, while others don't. I've also heard of doing phlembotomy among a lot of other things. My question is, which is the best? Where would I get the best experience in the shortest amount of time? And are there more options out there? Such as a surgical tech of vascular tech? I'd love to hear from those who have already been accepted into a school! Thanks to you all in advance!

I actually get this question a lot. The simple truth is that i have no desire to be a doctor. I see myself being a PA. Plus people would have way too much fun if my title was "Dr. House" :)

You are seriously limiting yourself. PA is great, really it is. But in 15 years, you will look back and say to yourself "this is it". Capped by the time you are in your early 30's. Seems a long way off now, but it isn't.

You want HCE? Do a stint in the military. I reccomend the Navy as a Corpsman. Do 4 years. You will get paid, gain invaluable experience, get the GI Bill, and put yourself way ahead of the other fresh faced Bio grads who have all the academics but little practical experience. You get to serve while getting what you need. Just remember, it isn't "just a job". You seem bright enough to get that though.

There you have it. You will be about 24 years old when you finish. That is about the same time a lot of college grads are trying to find HCE. You may even come to your senses and become a Physician.

Good luck

You guys are kind of missing the point. The OP wants to be a PA. Yes, maybe the OP hasn't been around healthcare enough to differentiate between the two professions and which one he/she would best fit. I would agree with that argument.. but it's not always the case. Everyone that says "your young.. go M.D." i think are just living through the person you are telling, because that's what YOU would do. The title and the OP's inquiry is about HCE.. not whether he/she wants to go M.D.

Tell me this.. do you walk into McDonalds and see the grill boy and tell him "your wasting your time.. go be a gourment chef".. the answer is no. Or what about the hundreds of thousands of nurses that stick to nursing and do not choose to go the PA/NP/MD route. It's a choice.

He/she can use the advantage of age quite easily in this scenario. OP could get accepted into PA school at 20.. finish at 22.. practice for 5 years and quite possibly pay off the school loans by then, or save up money for med school if he/she so chooses. That is at 27. Get accepted to medschool at 28 with still tons of time. Kind of a roundabout way of doing it, yes, but at least he/she can do a little bit of trial and error to sort out whats best for him/her. Don't know the exact average age of PA students accepted.. but I imagine its in the 26-30 range??? Even in that case, the OP would have been practicing for 4-8 years and applying to medschool rather than PA school like the average person does at that age.

You guys are kind of missing the point. The OP wants to be a PA. Yes, maybe the OP hasn't been around healthcare enough to differentiate between the two professions and which one he/she would best fit. I would agree with that argument.. but it's not always the case. Everyone that says "your young.. go M.D." i think are just living through the person you are telling, because that's what YOU would do. The title and the OP's inquiry is about HCE.. not whether he/she wants to go M.D.

Tell me this.. do you walk into McDonalds and see the grill boy and tell him "your wasting your time.. go be a gourment chef".. the answer is no. Or what about the hundreds of thousands of nurses that stick to nursing and do not choose to go the PA/NP/MD route. It's a choice.

He/she can use the advantage of age quite easily in this scenario. OP could get accepted into PA school at 20.. finish at 22.. practice for 5 years and quite possibly pay off the school loans by then, or save up money for med school if he/she so chooses. That is at 27. Get accepted to medschool at 28 with still tons of time. Kind of a roundabout way of doing it, yes, but at least he/she can do a little bit of trial and error to sort out whats best for him/her. Don't know the exact average age of PA students accepted.. but I imagine its in the 26-30 range??? Even in that case, the OP would have been practicing for 4-8 years and applying to medschool rather than PA school like the average person does at that age.

Apples and oranges.

OP is a 19 Y/o who has already completed a Bio degree with a whopping 3.9 GPA. PA first? Why? You and I both know the path to MD was never intended to be a stepping stone process.

At the end of the day, she will make up her own mind (assuming Shea is a she). You know that, she knows that, and I know that. It's the 30 something year old candidates who have a pretty good insite on making (not making) these types of decisions. She needs to hear things like this (as I am sure she already has).

As far as HCE advice goes, I gave it.

Apples and oranges.

OP is a 19 Y/o who has already completed a Bio degree with a whopping 3.9 GPA. PA first? Why? You and I both know the path to MD was never intended to be a stepping stone process.

At the end of the day, she will make up her own mind (assuming Shea is a she). You know that, she knows that, and I know that. It's the 30 something year old candidates who have a pretty good insite on making (not making) these types of decisions. She needs to hear things like this (as I am sure she already has).

As far as HCE advice goes, I gave it.

You're absolutely right. It is not a stepping stone.. but in reality, life is a process of trial and error. Everyone entering PA school is naive about what a PA is and does on a daily basis. Sure, we know what a PA is and does because we looked on every single schools website we applied to and saw it, and the PA we shadowed gave us a rundown of what its like.. but until we are a PA we don't know what it's like and how we feel when the coats on our shoulders with stethoscope wrapped around our neck... hence trial and error. If we find out we don't like it, we stick with it or move on.. just as with any profession. The OP is a 19 y/o who has already completed a Bio degree with a whopping 3.9 GPA and chose PA school... that's the point I am trying to make about missing the point. There is no prejudice on who applies and attends PA school.. you know that. Maybe he/she (Shea can be a guys name too :)) gets anxiety at the idea of being in control and wouldn't want to put someones life or limb in danger. There's many variables. He/she is smart.. obviously with that outstanding educational hisotry.. therefore the OP has probably looked at both options extensively.

You're absolutely right. It is not a stepping stone.. but in reality, life is a process of trial and error. Everyone entering PA school is naive about what a PA is and does on a daily basis. Sure, we know what a PA is and does because we looked on every single schools website we applied to and saw it, and the PA we shadowed gave us a rundown of what its like.. but until we are a PA we don't know what it's like and how we feel when the coats on our shoulders with stethoscope wrapped around our neck... hence trial and error. If we find out we don't like it, we stick with it or move on.. just as with any profession. The OP is a 19 y/o who has already completed a Bio degree with a whopping 3.9 GPA and chose PA school... that's the point I am trying to make about missing the point. There is no prejudice on who applies and attends PA school.. you know that. Maybe he/she (Shea can be a guys name too :)) gets anxiety at the idea of being in control and wouldn't want to put someones life or limb in danger. There's many variables. He/she is smart.. obviously with that outstanding educational hisotry.. therefore the OP has probably looked at both options extensively.

Fair enough.

Although, I am not missing the point. I know he/she is is choosing PA. I just can't for the life of me understand why. If the fear of putting someones life in danger is it....then PA is the wrong path as well.

Again, the OP will make up their own mind and do what they will. A forum like this is for the exchange and the questioning of ideas. My replies are nothing more than food for thought.

I just simply have no desire to go to medical school for such a long time and I feel like if I was a doctor i wouldnt have as much time to have a family and such. It's not that I'm afraid to make life altering decisions. I've already done the PA vs. MD battle and PA won. I'd still love to hear some HCE advice if anyone has any!

Haha no one's answered your question yet. I was a PT aide/tech or whatever you wanna call it for an outpatient clinic for about 2 years while i was getting my BS in biology. It was a really awesome job. The PT would see the patients for about 15 minutes and then they were mine for the next 45. There were usually about 15-20 patients at a time and I was the only aid so it was pretty busy most of the time but it was really rewarding and a great way to work with patients. I was also a CNA for a while and that was not as fun. I was mostly in charge of cleaning up messes which is to be expected for someone at the bottom of the food chain. Both were good exposure to healthcare though. I talked to a couple PA's that i've shadowed who are adcom guys at schools near where I'm at and they said their schools probably wouldn't count my CNA work towards direct patient care hours but I think it probably varies from school to school. I've got a couple buddies who are EMT-B's and EMT-I's and they love it so I'd say it's worth checkin out.

CNA is a good way to go, and I haven't come across any schools that I'm applying to that don't count it as HCE, in fact many recommend it. You can get the certification in 3 weeks in some programs, it's cheap, and there are many places you can work. You may have to start out at a nursing home to get your foot in the door, but once you have some experience you should have no trouble being hired at a hospital as a CNA/PCT. Although you do perform many menial tasks, the work is rewarding if you have the heart for it, you are in constant patient contact, and you get to interact with many different levels of healthcare providers.

Archived