Float Hospitalist Position as New Grad

Hi all! Just trying to get opinions about working a float hospitalist position from any who are currently doing this and pros/cons. This position would start me off in a 6 month fellowship program split between hospital/ICU and then I would be practicing autonomously on nights following. Also, any input on some good questions to ask employer regarding a float position would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited by pagalnimi

Hi, welcome, first job out of school I presume? The 6 month fellowship should be good, you'll learn a ton, steep learning curve, you should be getting full salary. Ultimately, 6 months is not long enough to be covering autonomously though. Rural hospital? What's your backup like? Phone? In-hospital? Who backs you up for emergent procedures (some can't wait until the morning and I'd be surprised if you're proficient in 6 months in paras/thoras/LP's/lines). Is there an intensivist in the ICU who will help? Responsible for just floor coverage or also admitting from ED?

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 11:40 AM, lov2xlr8 said:

Hi, welcome, first job out of school I presume? The 6 month fellowship should be good, you'll learn a ton, steep learning curve, you should be getting full salary. Ultimately, 6 months is not long enough to be covering autonomously though. Rural hospital? What's your backup like? Phone? In-hospital? Who backs you up for emergent procedures (some can't wait until the morning and I'd be surprised if you're proficient in 6 months in paras/thoras/LP's/lines). Is there an intensivist in the ICU who will help? Responsible for just floor coverage or also admitting from ED?

First job! It would be about $25/30 less an hour for the first 6 months then would go to contract following. The backup for most of the float locations is telemedicine and said procedural backup would be from ED or residents if no intensivists (some locations are more rural than others and do not have night coverage). They did mention that during the fellowship, they focus less on procedural experiences which I was a little bummed about--they said residents typically cover these, but I would've liked the extra learning and experience. I don't want to feel like I have to run around for someone to help me while working autonomously if a patient is crashing. Responsible for floor and admits. I know I would learn a ton but also don't want to be caught off guard by anything I could be missing!