Should I Apply This Year?

I am a recent graduate from the University of Michigan who has an overall GPA of 3.25. However, my prereq GPA for most schools is very close to a 4.0.

I have no paid HCE, but I do have volunteer hours and many shadowing hours. I have about 4,000 hours doing research on cancer signaling and cellular apoptosis. I also taught a 2 week course to MDs looking to pursue research further.

I have been in various clubs in undergrad, but I am most concerned about my lack of HCE. I have around 10 schools lined up that prefer HCE, but don't require it. What does that really mean? Can anyone give me any advice?

I have been looking desperately for hospital or nursing home jobs, but so far, I've had no luck. I'm considering if I should keep my current job (which is good pay) or just bite the bullet, get my CNA and work for much less.

Any people in a similar situation?

I am a recent graduate from the University of Michigan who has an overall GPA of 3.25. However, my prereq GPA for most schools is very close to a 4.0.

I have no paid HCE, but I do have volunteer hours and many shadowing hours. I have about 4,000 hours doing research on cancer signaling and cellular apoptosis. I also taught a 2 week course to MDs looking to pursue research further.

I have been in various clubs in undergrad, but I am most concerned about my lack of HCE. I have around 10 schools lined up that prefer HCE, but don't require it. What does that really mean? Can anyone give me any advice?

I have been looking desperately for hospital or nursing home jobs, but so far, I've had no luck. I'm considering if I should keep my current job (which is good pay) or just bite the bullet, get my CNA and work for much less.

Any people in a similar situation?

I would apply...at worst, the schools come back and say to get HCE so you do and apply again next year...at best, you get in and start. While I believe my several thousand hours of HCE will be quite helpful to me when I finally start my program in less than 2 weeks, a couple of my classmates (from my understanding) do not have much outside of shadowing and volunteering but I believe are quite capable of becoming excellent PAs (or they wouldn't have been accepted). Our Adcom has many PAs and our director is a PA and if they felt that these folks without a lot of HCE wouldn't do well, they wouldn't have admitted them. Go for it!!!! Good luck!

I agree with everyone who said you should apply. If you have any chance, then it is a gamble I would take. From reading many posts on this forum, I have come to understand that getting into PA school is a strategic process in which you must carefully play your cards at the right places, especially if your stats are less than competitive. I have seen people on this forum get denied with 3.8 gpa's and accepted with 2.8 gpa's. Obviously, this isn't the norm but my point is, if you know how to sell what you have, then someone will give you a chance. I am applying as soon as my summer grades are released and my gpa will be barely above 3.0 but I figure waiting another year could also be a year without a PA salary compared to my MA salary. Soooo I say do it!!

• 9 months later...

Archived