Another one of those posts

Hello everyone!

I have been a pretty silent member of this forum for the past 3 years and I am applying for this cycle. I had posted a similiar post about 2 years ago and a lot of things have changed since then. I graduated with my bachelors in Biology in 2007 with a cGPA of 3.1 and science gpa of 2.79 with the intention of going to Optometry school. I was admitted to Optometry school however unfortunately was unable to attend it due to financial reasons. For the past 2 years, I have been working as an ophthalmic/surgical tech at a refractive surgery facility. During this time, I have obtained my O.M.A (ophthalmic medical assistant) and C.O.A (certified ophthalmic assistant) certifications. I also took some post bac science classes over the course of 2 years and have a post bac gpa of 3.53. I am planning to take my GRE's in july and hopefully will score decently on that. My question is: am I a competitive candidate? And if not, what should I do in order to enhance my application? Your response is much appreciated :)

Hello everyone!

I have been a pretty silent member of this forum for the past 3 years and I am applying for this cycle. I had posted a similiar post about 2 years ago and a lot of things have changed since then. I graduated with my bachelors in Biology in 2007 with a cGPA of 3.1 and science gpa of 2.79 with the intention of going to Optometry school. I was admitted to Optometry school however unfortunately was unable to attend it due to financial reasons. For the past 2 years, I have been working as an ophthalmic/surgical tech at a refractive surgery facility. During this time, I have obtained my O.M.A (ophthalmic medical assistant) and C.O.A (certified ophthalmic assistant) certifications. I also took some post bac science classes over the course of 2 years and have a post bac gpa of 3.53. I am planning to take my GRE's in july and hopefully will score decently on that. My question is: am I a competitive candidate? And if not, what should I do in order to enhance my application? Your response is much appreciated :)

Thank you for your response. My previous healthcare background was in optometry and hence the job opportunities available to me at that time were in the same field. I figured instead of going the EMT/CNA route, I might as well continue a different HCE route that would make me stand out in the crowd.

Thank you for your response. My previous healthcare background was in optometry and hence the job opportunities available to me at that time were in the same field. I figured instead of going the EMT/CNA route, I might as well continue a different HCE route that would make me stand out in the crowd.

I think you have a great shot. I'd imagine that your HCE would be viewed in a similar light as medical assisting, which is good quality HCE for many programs. Two years is a healthy amount of work experience. People get in to decent programs with less. Not sure what your cumulative GPA will average out to but a 3.5 post-bac should help. Definitely get some PA shadowing experience. You'll probably need a LOR from a PA anyway. Best of luck to you!

I think you have a great shot. I'd imagine that your HCE would be viewed in a similar light as medical assisting, which is good quality HCE for many programs. Two years is a healthy amount of work experience. People get in to decent programs with less. Not sure what your cumulative GPA will average out to but a 3.5 post-bac should help. Definitely get some PA shadowing experience. You'll probably need a LOR from a PA anyway. Best of luck to you!

Archived