Re-Applicant PS - 2nd Time Around

Hey everybody, following is a completed draft of my personal statement. As stated in the title, I am a re applicant, this being my second time applying. It's a little on the longer side at 4,985 characters (with spaces), so if you feel that I need to trim it down or anything, please don't hesitate to tell me. Please tell me what you guys think and I thank you all in advance for your time and help!

After receiving a flurry of rejections from the Physician Assistant (PA) schools that I applied to in the 2011 admission year, I was thoroughly disappointed. I was upset with myself for not putting all of my effort into a process that was so crucial for my aspiring career. Several things could have been done differently; I could have sent in my application earlier, worked harder in improving my academic record, or accumulated more health care experience. Admittedly, I was not focused. Between balancing my personal life and long hours at work, the application process became a second priority. Initially, I tried calling the director of the school I interviewed with. Unfortunately, she stated that she was not allowed to disclose any notes or results of the interview. Without having any specific feedback as to how I could improve my application I set off with the goal to enhance every aspect of it and make myself a stronger candidate overall.

I have made a great deal of progress in the past year. To date, I have amassed more than 2500 hours working full-time as a medical assistant (MA) in a medical dermatology practice. Compared with my previous job as a MA in pain management, my dermatology experience has given me a great deal more hands on clinical experience with the patients. Responsibilities such as taking detailed histories, going over biopsy results, and explaining diagnoses and treatment plans with patients have me much more involved in the care of the patients. Additionally, I am right at the physician’s side assisting them with sterile procedures during complex skin cancer surgeries. During the surgical removal of a superficial melanoma, I am with the patient throughout the entire procedure. At the onset, I help administer local anesthesia to the patient. During the procedure, the physician looks to me to assist in hemostasis as well as trim the stitches. When the patients follow up in two weeks, I am responsible for removing their sutures as well as going over the results of their biopsies. The valuable clinical experience that I have gleaned from my time working in dermatology has not only helped me to mature as a healthcare provider, but also to become a more capable candidate for PA school.

Working at the dermatology office has showed me that I certainly want to be involved in the diagnosing and treatment of patients. However, I do not want to invest six or more years of my time and money pursuing this endeavor attempting to go to medical school. I have met several physicians who state that they are still paying off student loans several years after graduating medical school. They criticize the long hours at work that take away from spending time with their families. I consider myself a family man and actually have plans on proposing to my girlfriend of six years in the upcoming year and to hopefully start a family. A career as a PA will allow me to be deeply involved in patient care, and still be home in time to help cook dinner and bathe the children.

Relative to last year, I am a stronger candidate because I am more focused and more serious about the application process. Instead of blindly sending out my application to a long list of schools, I have a smaller, more precise list this year. I am focusing on a select number of schools by attending their open house events and familiarizing myself with their individual programs. Additionally, I have strived to distinguish myself from other grad school candidates by taking the GRE this year. By dedicating myself to studying diligently for this exam, it is my goal to make it aware to admission committees that I am ready to take on a rigorous academic workload. Furthermore, I have done additional shadowing under a PA in a dermatology office where I received a firsthand look at the dynamic role of a PA in the private practice setting. The PA had complete autonomy over the management of her patients, yet she knew when to defer to the expertise of the physician when a complex pediatric rash presented itself. With a slew of new accomplishments and experiences under my belt, I am confident that I have improved my application, making myself a more desirable candidate.

Rejection is never easy. Picking oneself up and driving forward is where the real challenge lies. Not being admitted into PA school last year was certainly a difficult experience to overcome. Nevertheless, I discovered the resolve to make myself a better contender and reapply for a new year. Exposing myself to different situations in the clinical setting allowed me to accumulate more healthcare experience, thus growing as an individual and as an applicant. Proactively taking the GRE, an examination that is optional for many PA schools, has helped to polish my studying habits and initiate me in the mindset of learning. These achievements have me poised to become a stronger candidate for PA school, and ultimately a more competent and caring PA.

Thanks again, BlueyxD

Hey everybody, following is a completed draft of my personal statement. As stated in the title, I am a re applicant, this being my second time applying. It's a little on the longer side at 4,985 characters (with spaces), so if you feel that I need to trim it down or anything, please don't hesitate to tell me. Please tell me what you guys think and I thank you all in advance for your time and help!

After receiving a flurry of rejections from the Physician Assistant (PA) schools that I applied to in the 2011 admission year, I was thoroughly disappointed. I was upset with myself for not putting all of my effort into a process that was so crucial for my aspiring career. Several things could have been done differently; I could have sent in my application earlier, worked harder in improving my academic record, or accumulated more health care experience. Admittedly, I was not focused. Between balancing my personal life and long hours at work, the application process became a second priority. Initially, I tried calling the director of the school I interviewed with. Unfortunately, she stated that she was not allowed to disclose any notes or results of the interview. Without having any specific feedback as to how I could improve my application I set off with the goal to enhance every aspect of it and make myself a stronger candidate overall.

I have made a great deal of progress in the past year. To date, I have amassed more than 2500 hours working full-time as a medical assistant (MA) in a medical dermatology practice. Compared with my previous job as a MA in pain management, my dermatology experience has given me a great deal more hands on clinical experience with the patients. Responsibilities such as taking detailed histories, going over biopsy results, and explaining diagnoses and treatment plans with patients have me much more involved in the care of the patients. Additionally, I am right at the physician’s side assisting them with sterile procedures during complex skin cancer surgeries. During the surgical removal of a superficial melanoma, I am with the patient throughout the entire procedure. At the onset, I help administer local anesthesia to the patient. During the procedure, the physician looks to me to assist in hemostasis as well as trim the stitches. When the patients follow up in two weeks, I am responsible for removing their sutures as well as going over the results of their biopsies. The valuable clinical experience that I have gleaned from my time working in dermatology has not only helped me to mature as a healthcare provider, but also to become a more capable candidate for PA school.

Working at the dermatology office has showed me that I certainly want to be involved in the diagnosing and treatment of patients. However, I do not want to invest six or more years of my time and money pursuing this endeavor attempting to go to medical school. I have met several physicians who state that they are still paying off student loans several years after graduating medical school. They criticize the long hours at work that take away from spending time with their families. I consider myself a family man and actually have plans on proposing to my girlfriend of six years in the upcoming year and to hopefully start a family. A career as a PA will allow me to be deeply involved in patient care, and still be home in time to help cook dinner and bathe the children.

Relative to last year, I am a stronger candidate because I am more focused and more serious about the application process. Instead of blindly sending out my application to a long list of schools, I have a smaller, more precise list this year. I am focusing on a select number of schools by attending their open house events and familiarizing myself with their individual programs. Additionally, I have strived to distinguish myself from other grad school candidates by taking the GRE this year. By dedicating myself to studying diligently for this exam, it is my goal to make it aware to admission committees that I am ready to take on a rigorous academic workload. Furthermore, I have done additional shadowing under a PA in a dermatology office where I received a firsthand look at the dynamic role of a PA in the private practice setting. The PA had complete autonomy over the management of her patients, yet she knew when to defer to the expertise of the physician when a complex pediatric rash presented itself. With a slew of new accomplishments and experiences under my belt, I am confident that I have improved my application, making myself a more desirable candidate.

Rejection is never easy. Picking oneself up and driving forward is where the real challenge lies. Not being admitted into PA school last year was certainly a difficult experience to overcome. Nevertheless, I discovered the resolve to make myself a better contender and reapply for a new year. Exposing myself to different situations in the clinical setting allowed me to accumulate more healthcare experience, thus growing as an individual and as an applicant. Proactively taking the GRE, an examination that is optional for many PA schools, has helped to polish my studying habits and initiate me in the mindset of learning. These achievements have me poised to become a stronger candidate for PA school, and ultimately a more competent and caring PA.

Thanks again, BlueyxD

Thanks again, BlueyxD

I think this is a so-so personal statement. I wasn't "wowed" and i didn't think it was horrible. I feel like I didn't get to know you though. I know a medical assistant that helped out in some minor surgery, but thats about it. Some parts made me think you have no idea what a PA truly is. "A career as a PA will allow me to be deeply involved in patient care, and still be home in time to help cook dinner and bathe the children." So you think you won't be pulling the sucky hours that the doctor wants to give YOU so he or she can be home with their children? I know plenty of PAs that are never home for the family. I know some that are. This misconception of the PA career as 9-5 "home for dinner" tells me you don't know a whole lot about what you're getting into. Would I want to invite you to interview based off of this PS? Maybe...but you'd have to really hit a homerun at the interview if I did. This brings me to my next point:

You interviewed somewhere. Besides working on your PS, have you worked on your interview skills?? That may be more of the issue. Was it something you said? Something you didn't say? Did you make a connection with your interviewers? Were you knowledgable? Were you awkwardly awkward? Did you recite the AAPA definition of what a PA is, or draw off your own experiences? All of these things and many more are the downfall for many-a-PA interviewee. Not everyone wants to own it though. They think, "Oh I interview fine, thats not the problem. The problem is I need more shadowing, HCE and and a better PS." If those things were the problem, you wouldn't have received an interview invite to begin with. Just food for thought to do a gut check on your interviewing skills. Good luck this year with the process.

I think this is a so-so personal statement. I wasn't "wowed" and i didn't think it was horrible. I feel like I didn't get to know you though. I know a medical assistant that helped out in some minor surgery, but thats about it. Some parts made me think you have no idea what a PA truly is. "A career as a PA will allow me to be deeply involved in patient care, and still be home in time to help cook dinner and bathe the children." So you think you won't be pulling the sucky hours that the doctor wants to give YOU so he or she can be home with their children? I know plenty of PAs that are never home for the family. I know some that are. This misconception of the PA career as 9-5 "home for dinner" tells me you don't know a whole lot about what you're getting into. Would I want to invite you to interview based off of this PS? Maybe...but you'd have to really hit a homerun at the interview if I did. This brings me to my next point:

You interviewed somewhere. Besides working on your PS, have you worked on your interview skills?? That may be more of the issue. Was it something you said? Something you didn't say? Did you make a connection with your interviewers? Were you knowledgable? Were you awkwardly awkward? Did you recite the AAPA definition of what a PA is, or draw off your own experiences? All of these things and many more are the downfall for many-a-PA interviewee. Not everyone wants to own it though. They think, "Oh I interview fine, thats not the problem. The problem is I need more shadowing, HCE and and a better PS." If those things were the problem, you wouldn't have received an interview invite to begin with. Just food for thought to do a gut check on your interviewing skills. Good luck this year with the process.

i like the fact that you made an attempt at explaining why PA vs MD but you lean a bit hard on the "family" angle. PA school is tough. Being newly married is tough. Doing both of them at the same time? Uber tough. If I was an AdCom member I may drag my feet about extending you an invite simply because I don't want to risk the seat to a student who is openly set on establishing a new life/spouse when they should be giving my academic program 100%. I may instead wish them the best of congratulations and an invite to re apply in a few years once their new marriage has the shine worn off a bit. Of course I'd personally wish that the applicant would put off getting married until they have a job as a PA but I realize people just can't wait..

i like the fact that you made an attempt at explaining why PA vs MD but you lean a bit hard on the "family" angle. PA school is tough. Being newly married is tough. Doing both of them at the same time? Uber tough. If I was an AdCom member I may drag my feet about extending you an invite simply because I don't want to risk the seat to a student who is openly set on establishing a new life/spouse when they should be giving my academic program 100%. I may instead wish them the best of congratulations and an invite to re apply in a few years once their new marriage has the shine worn off a bit. Of course I'd personally wish that the applicant would put off getting married until they have a job as a PA but I realize people just can't wait..

Corpsman2PA, thank you for your feedback, it is certainly invaluable information. I have had a couple of other people mention changing that portion of the statement as well. I'll definitely change it accordingly. I'll definitely be more aware of my interview skills as well, that is a good point that you bring up.

Just Steve, thank you for your insight as well. I think that I will end up changing the wording around regarding proposing to my gf to something "in the near future." From an AdCom's point of view, I can understand why they would be hesitant to offer a spot to someone who has so much going on in their life.

Corpsman2PA, thank you for your feedback, it is certainly invaluable information. I have had a couple of other people mention changing that portion of the statement as well. I'll definitely change it accordingly. I'll definitely be more aware of my interview skills as well, that is a good point that you bring up.

Just Steve, thank you for your insight as well. I think that I will end up changing the wording around regarding proposing to my gf to something "in the near future." From an AdCom's point of view, I can understand why they would be hesitant to offer a spot to someone who has so much going on in their life.

Archived