SUNY Downstate vs. CUNY York College

Hey guys,

I am having a heard time comparing two colleges that I have an interview with here in New York City. Suny Downstate and CUNY york college. SUNY Downstate was put on probation this year- accreditation status will be reviewed again in Sept 2021. I have heard from past students that this program is disorganized and lacks certain resources and that the not passing was not surprising ( my interview was also very disorganized and borderline unprofessional). I have also heard that even if they lose accreditation while I am a student that I will still be able to sit for the PANCE... Hopefully this is true. But despite these facts, I really liked the campus, the hospitals they have access too and the large groups of medical programs this school has- I realllly like. On the other hand, York college which is similar distance from my house, has similar PANCE rates and tuition as SUNY and is not on probation however the campus seems rundown, small, not in a safe area, and they have no cadaver lab. I just feel like I just don't have enough information to make it a quick- YES for me or a solid no either. If anyone has done your research on these schools or know someone first hand who graduated or is going through this program and have input-I would really appreciate it. Looking for bias and non-bias input! Thanks! 

• 2 years later...

Hey DwightRey, 

So, I got interviews at SUNY Downstate, City College and CUNY York as I was applying to schools with tuition under $80K total. I best advice is to Go where you get in. I was only offered a seat at CUNY York so that determined where I went. As far as SUNY Downstate and City College I rotate with students from there in clinicals and from our conversations the experience is very similar. It really depends on which school you get an offer from and which perks are important to you like cadaver labs, in-person skills labs ( you practice on real people) and also pay attention to schools first-time pass rate. 

• 2 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 5:25 PM, YorkPAStudent2022 said:

Hey DwightRey, 

So, I got interviews at SUNY Downstate, City College and CUNY York as I was applying to schools with tuition under $80K total. I best advice is to Go where you get in. I was only offered a seat at CUNY York so that determined where I went. As far as SUNY Downstate and City College I rotate with students from there in clinicals and from our conversations the experience is very similar. It really depends on which school you get an offer from and which perks are important to you like cadaver labs, in-person skills labs ( you practice on real people) and also pay attention to schools first-time pass rate. 

Hi 

from your experience is cadaver lab better? does york offer cadaver or in person? also, what are the first time pass rates for all the 3 schools you applied? i heard york was not so great? how are you enjoying the program? do they. have a great support system there?

7 hours ago, PrePhysA2022 said:

Hi 

from your experience is cadaver lab better? does york offer cadaver or in person? also, what are the first time pass rates for all the 3 schools you applied? i heard york was not so great? how are you enjoying the program? do they. have a great support system there?

Hey! So I will message you privately I’m still in school and don’t want any members of staff to read my reply. I’ll respond to all messages about York but via private message!

• 1 month later...

Hey DwightRey, 

what were your stats, if you don't mind me asking?

• 2 months later...

Hey DwightRey, 

Hi! I would like some info if you have time to answer my questions.