Just starting...excited!

Another update now that winter quarter is over. I took the 2nd sequence of Human A&P, a psychology class and a lifting class. A&P I got an A, Psych A-, and lifting A. I graduate next quarter, Woot!, and currently have a 3.81 GPA.

I received an acceptance letter to Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego. I will be making the move to be there by August for the Fall Semester. I will be going for the Biology or Chemistry major not sure which one yet, but as far as I know they are very similar. I've also been dabbling in the idea of signing up for the pre med/dental program at PLNU because the acceptance rate of students out of PLNU that got into dental or med schools is very high. Again, I am not sure and I have 2 years to think about it. It sounds crazy though to think about other schools after I have spent the last 3 years thinking about being a PA. I'm sure others have gone through the same train of thought about going to med school over PA school as I have, but in the end it's what you want to do that matters.

• 2 months later...

Update:

My last quarter is finished at the community college. I got my AAS and graduated with a 3.8 gpa. I am now 7 weeks from packing up and moving down to San Diego. I'm really excited for the move, and am looking forward to my studies at University. I can't believe it has been 2 years already since my first post in this thread and my first class in college. For all those in my shoes and just finishing their first step in becoming a PA, I want to encourage you and to tell you to keep up the hard work.

Thank you for keeping this thread going Kurt. I'm just finishing up my first year at CC with the intent to get into OHSU's PA program in the future. Have you been able to find work as a CNA or are you pursuing other options still? I'm trying to narrow down my focus on an Associates level program that will allow me to work for the two or three years before I have my degree and start applying to PA programs. At this point, RT seems like the way to go. Is there a reason you ruled that out?

RT at one point was one of my options, but when I moved to WA there were no RT programs in the area. I got into a server position at an Applebees here and have been working here for almost two years now. I got my CNA cert to start getting hours, but haven't really looked at any jobs because it would be a big financial loss for me if I left waiting tables. Since I won't be working in San Diego (I have tuition and everything covered by the GI Bill from my active duty years), I may end up getting a CNA shift here and there to start building hours.

Hey Kurt, just wanted to say it's awesome to read your updates and see how you're making it happen :=D: My road also started in '06 and I'm start my PA program this Fall. We're all rooting for you!! Thanks for your service and please continue to update as things progress.

All the best to you and your family!!

Hi Kurt, congratulations on finishing up the first two years! I wanted to suggest that if you have trouble finding a job, private home healthcare can pay pretty well (where a family directly hires you instead of an agency) and get you some experience that will help to land a hospital job. Good luck!

Thanks for the kind words everyone I really appreciate it. San Diego is a much bigger city and should have more opportunities for me to get some quality HCE. In the mean time I'm just going to be working all summer to save up some money for the big move coming up. I'm really excited for University this Fall!

Archived