Personal Statement - one of my first drafts ...

I haven't finished this or edited it much but here it is. I still have to make a strong ending and make it more clear why I want to be a PA. Comments would be greatly appreciated!

My curiosity regarding the human body and the way in which it operates began at the fledgling/burgeoning age of about 5. I would often ask my father, “Daddy, where are my kidneys? Why do we need them?” Despite my father’s busy work schedule, he always made time to teach me about our jellybean shaped kidneys, one of the organs with which he had become quite familiar as a urologist. As I grew older, and my knowledge of science and the medical field became slightly more sophisticated, I grappled with which medical profession best fit my interests and personality. After much thought, I realized that becoming a physician assistant (PA) fit my professional and personal goals to a tee.

My first journey through the notorious maze-like hospital was early on a Sunday morning in the early 90’s. I accompanied my father as he dashed through the halls, but only to sit at a desk and doodle on some prescription pads while he took care of business. At this point in my life I was an outsider gaining a small glimpse into what a medical profession was like.

After my freshman year of college I worked as a Patient Care Technician, and while the hospital seemed to have shrunk since our last encounter, my knowledge of its contents began to expand as I gained more of an insider’s view. I studied the names of the seemingly endless number of surgical instruments so that I could “scrub-in” to surgeries in the operating room along with the physicians, PAs and nurses. I set up the instrument tables for surgeries and passed instruments to the physicians and PAs when needed. Forced to learn quickly and accept criticism, I embraced the fast-paced and intense environment and simply could not get enough of seeing the inner workings of the miraculous human body. During slower and more relaxed moments in the operating room I was able to converse with the physicians, PAs and nurses. Although becoming familiar with the different operations and their purposes was important, I found that speaking to these professionals was one of the most invaluable experiences. After much deliberation I decided that becoming a PA is exactly what I want to pursue.

After my summer job in the operating room I continued to pursue my interest in the PA profession by shadowing PAs in a private practice offices, the emergency room and speaking to them on the phone. My motivation behind becoming a PA stems from the fact that the PAs I shadowed were truly role models. I observed the autonomy in which PAs act in the office and hospital – using their medical knowledge to advise patients and prescribe medications. I also noticed that the PAs were able to spend a generous amount of time with each patient. In addition to helping patients maintain or improve their health, the ability to build relationships with patients is very important to me.

One of the most admirable characteristics of the PAs whom I shadowed is that they have successful and meaningful careers along with a family of their own. .... will continue here

Archived