A few questions about PA schools

Hi, Im 26 and Im in school getting a B.S in cardiovascular technology so I can be a cardiac sonographer. I will be done with courses next year and then I will do an internship. I know PA schools require that you have HCE experience, but how many years should I work as a cardiac sonographer before I apply to a PA school? I was thinking at least 2 years would be enough, but I'm not sure.

I want to specialize in cardiology or pediatrics is it tough to get into these specialties? What is a good range of scores for the GRE exam that will get me in a good school? I have been looking at the University of Floridas program since I already have/will have all the pre-reqs and many of the recommended courses. Does anyone know anything about their program? I wont be applying until 5 years from now (I hope its not too soon for me to be thinking so far into the future about PA school) though because I have to finish my degree, do my internship, and get HCE before applying. I do want to look at a few other schools though.

Thanks in advance!

Depends on the school you want to go to. Some require as little as 250 hrs, others 2000 hrs. So you could potentially apply after working few months, or after a year.

• 2 weeks later...

When you apply to PA programs, they look at you as a whole. Everything on your application is important. Depending on the programs you want to apply to, then the requirements would vary. As the previous responder mentioned, programs vary in what they require in HCE. First thing you should do is figure out which schools appeal to you and then see if you can apply before getting 2 yrs HCE. Specific programs will indicate the GRE ranges. Specializing as a PA is not "tough," you get trained on the job by the physician. Current job market is good for PA in cardiology. Pediatrics is more family practice unless you work in a specialized children's hospital then you will be a pediatric hospitalist PA. If you set your mind, you can do it!

When you apply to PA programs, they look at you as a whole. Everything on your application is important. Depending on the programs you want to apply to, then the requirements would vary. As the previous responder mentioned, programs vary in what they require in HCE. First thing you should do is figure out which schools appeal to you and then see if you can apply before getting 2 yrs HCE. Specific programs will indicate the GRE ranges. Specializing as a PA is not "tough," you get trained on the job by the physician. Current job market is good for PA in cardiology. Pediatrics is more family practice unless you work in a specialized children's hospital then you will be a pediatric hospitalist PA. If you set your mind, you can do it!

Archived