Reference letter from my EMT Supervisor/Station Manager?

Hey all,

I'm applying this cycle and for my 3 reference letters, I'm wondering who I should ask. I already know that it should be:

1) PA (that I'll shadow hopefully soon)

2) Professor for Human Physiology Lab class

3) ????

I work as an EMT in San Francisco close to full-time (1500 hrs), and I also just started ER scribing (100 hrs), but I'm finishing training and still need to develop a better rapport with the ER docs. I'm considering asking my EMT station manager for a reference letter, though he's no MD or PA that works at a hospital/clinic or anything. I imagine that he can speak on my work ethic, team player mentality, etc. as an EMT. Is this advisable, as this is where a majority of my HCE (EMT) comes from?

Has any PA-C's or PA-S's that were former medics/EMTs used their supervisors or station managers as references? If so, any suggestions on what they can write about me? I mainly do ICFs (interfacility transfers) but the facilities I go to mainly just have RNs and MDs, no PA's (boooo). Any help is appreciated, thanks!

I worked as a Paramedic and two of my letters were from Paramedic supervisors and one was from a NP (as discussed in a recent thread). It might not be the most traditional route, but my thought process was to get letters from the people who knew me and my abilites the best. It might have cost me interviews/admission at a school or two, and I certainly had to explain my choice of LOR writers at several schools (mainly the NP, I don't think the paramedics ever came up), but I couldn't be happier with where I ended up.

If you think that your EMT supervisor will write you the best possible LOR, go for it. Good luck.

Some schools require you to have at least one letter from a supervisor/boss/manager so I would go for it.

Too true, I was lucky enough to have 3 letters from physicians, but I had to have one of them specify that they were my supervisor because 3 of the schools I am applying to require it.

Archived