ANY TIPS TO PASS THE PANCE?

Hey Yall

Currently prepping for the PANCE. I have been studying for the past two months from PPP and ROSH. Initially I did alot of reading from PPP with scattered questions realizing quickly this is not as effective as making notes. I started to make notes for the bigger systems, such as CARDS, PULM, GI, MSK. Ive been studying everyday from 10-12 hours and with a week left I get this feeling that Im not ready. 

Below I posted my results I took two weeks ago, not sure how to feel. 

My question to yall is, what are some strategies you used to take exams? what algorithm did you have in your mind when analyzing a question. 

My ROSH score is a 578 with 92% passing but I understand this isnt as predictable. 

I have played with Kaplan and have scored in the mid 60s to 70s on it within each organ system. 

5D372E5B-A1FB-4E3F-8535-C0C64344685F.thumb.jpg.10fe1d552aa63d73191d354b9971a3d3.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2019 at 1:21 AM, bathinrouz said:

Hey Yall

Currently prepping for the PANCE. I have been studying for the past two months from PPP and ROSH. Initially I did alot of reading from PPP with scattered questions realizing quickly this is not as effective as making notes. I started to make notes for the bigger systems, such as CARDS, PULM, GI, MSK. Ive been studying everyday from 10-12 hours and with a week left I get this feeling that Im not ready. 

Below I posted my results I took two weeks ago, not sure how to feel. 

My question to yall is, what are some strategies you used to take exams? what algorithm did you have in your mind when analyzing a question. 

My ROSH score is a 578 with 92% passing but I understand this isnt as predictable. 

I have played with Kaplan and have scored in the mid 60s to 70s on it within each organ system. 

5D372E5B-A1FB-4E3F-8535-C0C64344685F.thumb.jpg.10fe1d552aa63d73191d354b9971a3d3.jpg

My advice is don't over study.  The longer you drag out studying the further away you are from something you studied at the beginning.  I finished school 10 days before the exam.  During the last 4 weeks of school we had to do 500 practice questions per week on Rosh, did the NCCPA practice exam, and had a 220 question exam by my school.  During the last 10 days I studied for about 10-12 hours a day, went through old notes, watched HIPPO and OnlineMedEd videos, looked up things on UpToDate, and did Rosh & Hippo questions. 

The PANCE assesses your medical knowledge to be an entry level clinician.  While there are some zebras on it, most of the content are common things.  The key is knowing the subtle details about major systems/conditions.  For example, there are questions that will present pathognomonic things.  SO lets say, a patient with fever, jaundice, and RUQ pain.  Your mind goes to Charcot's triad then cholangitis.  But when you look at the actual question, it'll ask something like, what is the most common pathogen or initial diagnostic test.  You will also get "gimmes" that are super straightforward.  The overall point is know common, important things in detail like pneumonia, copd, heart failure, hypertension, MI, diabetes, cushing/addison, biliary diseases, etc.

Advice for the exam:

1. Dont dwell and think there is a trick question.  If it seems straightforward and easy, go with it.  

2. Dont change your answer unless you're absoultely sure or if you encounter a question that validates changing it.

3. If a question is hard or vague (which a bunch will be) remember that its 1 of 300 and not all of them count.  So move on.  You won't know everything.

4. Take advantage of your breaks.  Get up, snack, walk around and stretch.  I did 120, 10 min break, 120 more, 10 min break, and finished the last 60.  

5. Don't study the day before or morning of!!! Take the day off to relax your brain, watch mindless tv, rest and hydrate

Be confident and you'll do fine.