PS Critique Please! - Thank You!!

As an impressionable young man with a hunger for progression, I continue to learn more about my personality, my character, my strengths, and my weaknesses – specifically as they pertain to the medical community. I feel that I have been both blessed and burdened with unrelenting thirst for knowledge. It has provided me with understanding and preparation for the inevitable challenges that lie ahead. No matter the amount of acquired talent or experience, the desire for attaining my goals outweighs the struggles along the way. The knowledge I have gained over the past few years has brought me to where I am today – fully committed to pursuing a career as a Physician’s Assistant. As a Kinesiology student and now as an EMT, I have become completely fascinated with the human body. Each and every person is unique, and I am continuously challenged by both the somatic diversity and the unique relationships that I am able to build with the patients I encounter. I have embraced the need for further knowledge of the human body, and in turn, desire to cultivate that education into a life-long career.

However, what good does my desire and knowledge serve in and of itself? I believe that the accumulation of knowledge I have gained through education and experience is useless if I fail to help others. I have been fortunate enough to spend time serving a variety of patients – from the impoverished indigenous in developing areas of Mexico, to the homeless and uninsured in Dallas’ Parkland ED, to young children with their entire futures at stake in the neighboring Children’s ER. Those I have encountered who are ill equipped and unable to provide themselves with adequate care have become the driving force behind my desire to become a PA.

Not only have my recent experiences cultivated a desire to become a PA, they have provided me with confidence in my abilities and my placement as a PA as opposed to other medical professions. I was fortunate to observe, as well as participate in, medical treatments throughout a variety of settings and departments while completing clinical rotations as an EMT student with the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. I experienced adult and children’s Emergency Departments, Triage, and Labor and Delivery, immediately becoming infatuated with working as a part of a team in a hospital setting. Along the way, I have learned to thrive in an environment that is constantly changing and requires quick thinking and efficient communication among team members.

Furthermore, working in Physical Therapy for the past eight years, I have come to realize how much I enjoy and value daily patient interaction. This is one of the major reasons I wish to become a PA, which will enable me to spend more time with patients, earning their trust and allowing me to provide the best possible care. I have also been very fortunate to shadow an orthopedic surgeon, where I learned surgical techniques, operating room procedures, and most importantly, the value of communication between the members of a medical team. This instilled in me a desire to work alongside a physician and other medical professionals as part of a team.

While serving at Roca Blanca Ministries, a free medical clinic in developing Mexico, I found that I thrive in an environment that requires flexibility and creativity. Advanced medical equipment was rarely available, and I was forced to become creative in finding alternative ways of achieving adequate treatment. Encountering and learning to overcome vast language and communication barriers, I was able to appreciate my ability to serve a greater population due to my Spanish language skills. One of my long-term goals is to live and work in developing countries, specifically in Central and South America, providing medical care to those who are unable to care for themselves.

I possess no illusions of grandeur that I am destined to single-handedly change the world through my own medical interventions. However, I strongly believe that, given the education and training, I will be able to use my natural desires and gifts to make a positive difference in the lives of many and allow them to live their lives to the fullest.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived