Rotations Preparations

Hello All,

Getting ready to start clinical rotations in July!!! So excited......and wondering, is there anything that you wish someone had told you? Or maybe things to brush up on? I'm starting to feel like the whirlwind of didatic will fall out of my head while on rotation and getting pimped!! Thoughts?

Congrats! Clinical year is awesome and so much fun, at least it was for me. I was always nervous starting a rotation no matter how far into the year I was. To get a little prepared for a rotation, know the common things that happen within that specialty and what to do about them. For example family practice, Every other patient I had was a patient with DM, HTN, hyperlipidemia etc. Know the common things about them and be prepared to give your input on the treatment plans. Ask as many questions as possible because there may be a little bit of knowledge (and life experience) from your preceptor that you may not have known or realized until they said it. An important thing to remember is that even though he/she may not do the treatment you expected, your idea (and theirs) is not wrong all the time. That's something that it took me a little bit of time to get used to. It caused a little bit of a lack of confidence when they didn't choose my approach, but I wasn't wrong, it was a different way of doing things. Also while getting "pimped" if you don't know the answer, tell them that you aren't sure but you will definitely look it up and get back to them. And actually do even if they don't remind you. Not only will it show that you stick to your word, but that you are interested in learning everything that you can. That's all I can think of right now. Good luck! I hope you have a great time!

I'd agree with amdst6 for FP.

For Surgery rotation, I'd pick up: Surgical Recall & review ur anatomy. Review as stated above common symptoms, Diff Dx, dx studies, labs, & tx options

I also found a handy book called P.I.M.P. Protector by Holzheimer, DO

Best of Luck!

Awesome, thanks for the input. I notice many times I can pull common diagnoses out of my brain, or remember a symptom...but be totally oblivious about appropriate meds. I will bring my iPod touch to look up on Epocrates, any ideas for making drugs stick while I'm reviewing the most commons?

Thanks so much, will look into the surgery books too (most frightful rotation for me)!

Archived