Are OBGYN jobs harder to find than other specialties?

Hi, I'm a pre-PA student who is very interested in obgyn/women's health, but it seems like obgyn jobs are unusually difficult to find for PAs. Is this true? If so, why are there so many fewer jobs than in other specialties. Any tips on how one could make oneself more competitive for obgyn jobs?

I’m Hi Luna-

It depends in what which State you are living. Some places are more PA-friendly, such as New York and California. I find that most other places are geared towards midwives and NPs  

Also, as the positions, even in those places, are far and few in between it is hard for a new grad to get a job in this specialty

As a new grad, if you are pretty sure this is the field you want to practice, to make yourself more competitive and to have specialized learning, it’s not a bad a idea to attend an OB/GYN PA residency- there are 2 that I know of- one in NYC and the other in California. 

Good luck

• Like 1

From what I've seen, there are more opportunities for PAs in the outpatient women's health area of your interest, but if your dream is to deliver babies, I would seriously consider becoming a nurse midwife (or of course OB/GYN doc). It's already hard enough to get a job as a new grad, even without trying to break into a less traditional field for PAs. 

I don't know how "pre"-PA you are, but a potential path would be finishing your bachelors, completing a 1 year post-bac RN program, working as an RN for a year or two and then going to a midwife program.

Edited by dholmb
wasn't finished with post