Advice for employment during Gap Year?

Hi everyone! I just graduated college and applied this cycle hoping to start PA school in summer 2020. I have been a patient care technician for the last 2-3 years in order to gain patient care experience, but just resigned due to relocation. I want to continue pursuing patient care experience in my gap year, but I'll be honest, I do not want to be a patient care technician anymore. I've been wiping butts and giving baths for some time now, and I really have no desire to do it. I want to work in my gap year, but I also want to enjoy my time off before school as well.

Do you have any recommendations of where I could work or what I could work as that still pays decently well? I have my EMT license, but no experience unfortunately. I would love to work as an EMT, but with no experience, I don't think I will make enough money to swing it. I was thinking maybe working in a urgent care or as a emergency room technician because I believe I would function more as a "technician" rather than a "nursing assistant", but I have limited experience in these areas. Any advice?

• Like 1

Emergency room technician is a great idea, especially since you have your EMT license. Working as a scribe in the emergency room could also be a good way to see a lot of diverse cases and how the provider functions, but wouldn’t be hands on patient care. Not sure if that would really matter since you seem to have a lot of hands on patient care experience already! Good luck to you this cycle and finding a new job you’ll hopefully enjoy more than your previous! 

• Like 1