Choosing electives.

My clinical year starts in exactly one month. I have 6 core rotations that have been arranged by my school (FM, IM, peds, surg, WH, ER) and I'm really happy with my placements. Two rotations are electives. Long story short, I picked ortho surg for one of them already.

That leaves my last elective. The good news is that I can pick pretty much any specialty I want with a decent chance of being accommodated at an excellent site. I can take a second core rotation at another site for variety (do a second ER rotation, for example). Bad news is that I have no idea what kind of PA I want to be at the end of all this (still) and so I can't choose based on interest. The most reasonable thing seems to be to pick something that will help me land my first job.

What is that, exactly? What would you pick?

i picked cardiology for one of my rotations because of the emphasis on it on the PANCE. Maybe family practice if you want a broad field and then specialize a few years out of PA school? or even save it for a potential job opportunity, and do an elective with an employer.

Archived