Financial Aid and Loans

Hello! I will be starting PA school in Boston in late August. I recently received my financial aid package. It stated that I will be receiving $49,000 in aid for tuition/fees, but that I should expect to spend  total of $74,000 for all total expenses. This means I need to take out a separate private loan to pay for things like housing, food, transportation, etc. Does anyone know of any low interest loans for students that can be used for these expenses? Thanks!

Is the $49,000 student aid just from the unsubsidized Stafford loan? Or is that including the Grad Plus loan as well?

Most PA students will utilize all funding from the unsubsidized Stafford Loan and then you would borrow with the Grad Plus loan. This should cover the estimated cost of attendance set by your university. If at that point you still need more funding, then you would look into private loans.

• Upvote 1

On 5/7/2019 at 3:20 PM, pastudentw said:

Is the $49,000 student aid just from the unsubsidized Stafford loan? Or is that including the Grad Plus loan as well?

Most PA students will utilize all funding from the unsubsidized Stafford Loan and then you would borrow with the Grad Plus loan. This should cover the estimated cost of attendance set by your university. If at that point you still need more funding, then you would look into private loans.

It is from the unsubsidized Stafford loan. Any recommendation on private loans to pay for the rest of the expenses? 

You should first utilize the Grad Plus loan along with the unsubsidized Stafford. I know this isn't what you are primarily asking but the Grad Plus loan is a federal loan that almost every PA student uses before they tap into any private loan because it usually isn't necessary to get private loans unless your personal expenses are quite high. I have posted the link below and highly advise this versus any private loan because the loan terms will be much better and you will be able to defer payments while in school and up to 6months after graduation, which is just like the unsubsidized Stafford Loan. 

Also make sure you are working with the financial aid office at your program since they could work you through this process and then if you still need private loans, they may have recommendations. 

https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/launchPLUS.action?plusType=gradPlus

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1