how to ask for a job during rotation

I'll be doing a derm rotation in a few months and the office has never had a PA. There are 2 physicians at the office- one of them I used to work for as a medical assistant at another derm office prior to PA school, and is the reason I landed this rotation. He doesn't make any decisions though as he isn't the owner, so I'm wondering how to approach this rotation in terms of trying to land a job offer.

Does anyone have any advice or have been in a similar situation? If they don't offer me a job at some point during or at the end of the rotation, should I ask for one myself at the end of the rotation or just leave it and wait a few months until I graduate? 

Thanks so much!

If you have a good rapport with one of the physicians, I would just bring it up casually with him to see if they've ever considered bringing on a PA, and then go from there. He might be able to tell you how to navigate bringing it up with the decision makers of the practice. 

My advice to you is to be absolutely stellar on the rotation without crossing the line of annoying. Be well-read on the cases and be Johnny/Jennie on the spot in terms of making the Doc see how adding a PA could be beneficial. If it doesn't come up organically during the rotation, I'd hold off until one of your last days to broach the subject. If that group isn't necessarily looking but you come across as someone they'd want to work with, they may have a colleague in mind to reach out to when you're finishing up with PA school.

Hardest part of trying to get a gig while in training is you don't really know your timeline. There's very much an out of sight/out of mind aspect once you're no longer on rotation although not as applicable to you since you've worked for them previously as a MA. 

Archived