Does California have Retail clinics or not???

Lots clinics in Arizona for PAs.

I don't see anything wrong with working there as a PA.

My friend works there, loves the 3 on/4 on alternating week schedules.  Good pay and benefits.  According to her, the Little Clinic doesn't follow an algorithm, you practice medicine the way you normally would.  What you prescribe is up to you.

Also nice is there are no opiods or narcotics to prescribe, so that liability is off of you.

If you think about it, looking at their menu of services, it really is the bread and butter of primary cares stuff.  I think it's fine if you are a PA/NP and you want to work there.  Looks like you get a lot of autonomy too. 

California has a law that bans the corporate practice of medicine. That means that  a medical practice, which includes  retail clinics, must be run by a medical group that qualifies as a medical professional corporation that then can employ physicians to work in the clinic..   Walgreens/CVS et. al are pharmacies.....can't directly hire a PA or a MD.        In order to have a retail clinic inside of the store, it would have to be contracted out to a medical professional group, who could then hire anyone they like.   A more likely type of venture under Cali law would be for them to "rent space" to a medical group that would then organize a clinic.  This is not as attractive to the retail clinic chains.  

Sutter has a type of urgent care/retail clinic in the NorCal area but these are owned by the Sutter medical groups.  Kaiser.....same thing, even though they "employ" docs and PAs, actually the docs belong to the Permanente Medical Group.   The only places exempt from this are governmental organizations, the state universities, and community clinics that are licensed and run under separate rules.  

I also have a post above from 2012 about this.  

For example, Sutter has a retail clinic in Rite Aid in Folsom, staffed by Sutter medical group, which hires lots of PAs.

Sutter Express Care

526 E. Bidwell Street
FolsomCalifornia 95630
location phone: 916-984-7749

Clinic Host: Rite Aid

Florida also has an interesting law that prevents a PA from making a "final diagnosis" so MinuteClinic has interpreted that narrowly and only hires NPs.  

Archived