UNE Organic Chem Distance Learning

Hey everyone, I recently have been getting a lot of questions about my experience taking UNE's online Organic Chem I so I will put up a post here. 

I have to say, spending 10+ hrs a week for 4 months, organic chem material is a pretty difficult subject in its own right, but what made this class particularly challenging is the deplorable level of instruction. One huge plus is there is a ton of online course material that will help you complete assignments and study for exams.

The book used contains HUGE gulf between the oversimplified explanations of the book, and the in-depth understanding required by the questions. Lectures which have the instructor essentially reading from the text, the same material you just read in the textbooks and will also answer popularly student asked questions on the material.

About halfway through I bought other chem books and started using more online resources (thank god for Wikipedia and Khan Academy), which helped quite a bit. I honestly learned organic much more in spite of this course than because of it. While the instructor answers questions, the answers tend to be about 2 sentences long and don't fill in the cavernous holes of understanding this course leaves you with.

The lab portion is a simple virtual lab where you click and drag some lab equipment together, add reagents, and then see what pops out. Even for a long time computer gamer, it took me a minute to figure out the set up, which is not very intuitive or user friendly initially. The glassware shattering when I forgot to hook up the N2 gas was a nice effect though.

The final is a large chunk of your grade, online, and there is a significant curve (presumably because so many people bomb it). I managed to get an A in this class, though I am a straight A student and poured all of my energy into this course, studying 12-15 hours per module (16 modules total). I have saved a majority of my course resources that will help you speed through 85% of the course and save a TON of time. Just shoot me a DM or email me; crazywun64@gmail

Archived