Breaking into Derm

Okay guys, I'm trying to break into derm with no previous derm experience. Well, other than a clinical rotation, but that was nearly 4 years ago, and only 4 weeks, so I don't think that counts for much.

Here's my plan:
I've joined SDPA and am going to try to complete the Diplomate program. That depends on them accepting me into it, since I do not currently work for a dermatologist. I figure this will somewhat make up for my lack of experience. I can at least come in with more extensive book knowledge. It also shows my level of commitment to derm vs just applying without any experience or any other sort of additional effort related to derm.

After that, I'm not going to wait for open positions, I'm just going to mail resume's out to every dermatology practice in my area, with a cover letter explaining the steps I'm taking to get past my lack of experience, as well as my reasons for wanting to be in derm.

Does this sound like something that could work? Any additional tips of things I could do to better my odds? It seems that every single derm job I see posted wants 2+ years of derm experience, but at some point something has to give, and somebody's gonna have to hire someone without experience. There can't possibly always be more experienced candidates than available jobs.

If you're willing to relocate to "less desirable" areas, your odds will go way up. I've seen several postings (I think one in Idaho recently) that have stated they're willing to train. Have you tried networking with the place you rotated at? If they're not hiring, they might be willing to give you the names of some other surrounding offices that might be interested. 

One thing to be careful of: If you do get a job offer, run through it over and over again. I've seen a lot of instances where a new candidate is taken advantage of. My first derm offer (right out of school) involved a physician offering a low ball salary, no benefits, and no bonus for 1.5 years. His rationale was that I would be training with one of the best dermatologists in the world and that that was more than fair for the offer. No thanks. Just be cautious.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 9:43 AM, brooks23 said:

If you're willing to relocate to "less desirable" areas, your odds will go way up. I've seen several postings (I think one in Idaho recently)

Would you mind sharing with me this job posting from Idaho for a derm PA, if you're able to find it  again. Thanks in advance!

Archived