PA school with a disability

I am curious to get feedback regarding attending PA school with a disability. Do any of you have classmates with disabilities? How does this work with clinicals? I am pretty sure I have myotonic MD. I am ok most of the time, just have problems with stairs and inclines. Also have some pain. It is definitely not something I will allow to stop me, I am just wondering perspectives from you guys. Do you think clinical staff and others would be understanding of slow walking at times and maybe a need to sit occasionally? Thanks

Schools will make reasonable accommodations as long as you meet their baseline technical standards, which should be published. Find a school with a wide selection of clinical sites that allows you some say in where you'd like to go. I think a preceptor's patience with your walking speed and need for rest will last as long as it doesn't affect patient care.

However, being "pretty sure" you have something is not acceptable. See a doctor, get a diagnosis. Then you'll have something to take to the schools when you tell them what you need.

Archived