What is PCE and HCE?

Hi there..I am just starting my journey towards applying to a PA program..I got the pre-requisites part all figured out and working towards completing it but reading through many threads I am totally lost on what PCE and /or HCE mean? clearly these are related to volunteering but what are the specifics? how is this different from shadowing hours ??

Pls kindly clarify!!?

Help is needed !!

Hey, welcome to the forum

Patient Care Experience (PCE) is usually a paid position (although can be a volunteer). If you're physically in contact with patients taking their vital signs, assessing them, documenting your findings, patient education, triaging, administering medications, assisting other providers with patient care, obtaining specimen culture, etc then this is considered PCE. Positions that meet this are usually RNs/LPNs, Corpsmen, Paramedics, Respiratory Therapists, Radiology Technologists, Sonographers, Physicians (Foreign Medical Graduates), Physical Therapists, CNAs, Medical Assistants, you get the point.

Health Care Experience (HCE) is usually paid or unpaid where you're not physically participating in the direct care of the patient. This may include scribes (program dependent), orderlies, volunteers, internships, unit secretaries. 

Shadowing is merely following someone around and observing their day in health care. You're not part of the healthcare team because your main purpose is to learn about someone else's day. 

Here's a great source;

https://help.liaisonedu.com/CASPA_Applicant_Help_Center/Filling_Out_Your_CASPA_Application/3._CASPA_Supporting_Information/2_Experiences

Archived