Dermatology Offer - Need Your Advice!

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, first time posting. I am currently working in Georgia as a Uro/Gyn Surgical PA for the past two years.

I interviewed at a small derm practice and they made me this offer today:

1. Base salary of $80,000/year with production bonus of 20% of profits

2. $5000 annual health care reimbursement, paid in equal amounts each month (a tax-free amount)

3. 4 weeks of vacation/sick/CME/Personal time

4. $2000 CME/book/professional society/professional development reimbursement

5. 401(k) with a 3% employer match

I have two main questions:

1. What do you guys think of this offer?

2. What can I realistically expect that 20% production bonus to be?

Thanks,

DA

• 3 weeks later...

I am not familiar with the pay scale in Georgia but I think this offer is standard. The base salary sounds ok and the 20% commission is nice, but my questions is, how much cosmetic stuff will you be doing? Lasers, fillers, botox, product sales? Does the practice have other PAs or NPs there? What do they typically make in commission? Good luck.

JFarnsworth, thank you for taking the time to respond. This is a small practice with one dermatologist and one plastic surgeon (who owns the practice). The practice has no NPs or PAs - I would be the first PA there. The dermatologist does Moh's surgery and very little to no cosmetic procedures. All the cosmetic procedures are handled by the plastic surgeon. I'd be working solely with the dermatologist, but there me be a future option to also work with the plastic surgeon, since I have good surgical skills. They told me that once I'd be fully ramped up, I can expect to make about $40k with the production bonus.

Hi darkkavenger (Batman reference?),

Is there an opportunity for you to do the cosmetic stuff? I'd ask about that, because you can make a lot doing cosmetics, if that's improtant for you. Do you get a percentage of the surgeries that you assist in? I'd also want to know how familiar the docs are with a PA and our function. The benefits seem generous. One thing I ask is, do I get free laser and cosmetic stuff? (I'm in my 40s and need this). Either way, it sounds pretty good. I always try to search for as many reviews as I can for the docs I potentially work for. Good luck!! Maybe I'll see you at one of the derm conferences.

Archived