Rural hospitalist offer

Hey all, thanks in advance for any advice. 

Offer is for rural hospitalist. Duties are basic hospital medicine but also include telemedicine triage/urgent care consults and covering the ED when they have a high census. Hours are 24 on, 3 days off 24 on, etc etc. Only one in house past 5pm or so once the internal med docs head home. 

I have been working in critical care medicine at an academic institution for the last 18 months, so that is my experience

Offer details:

Salary - 110k

Loan repayment: 60K over 6 years

Signing bonus: 5K

Annual bonus for production/performance: 3k

CME: $3500 + 5 days

Vacation: 4 weeks

Retirement: I put in 6, they put in 9 - total of 15% 

Licensing, DEA covered

I was going to counter w/ 120K for salary and move 5k from loan repayment to add to the signing bonus. What do you all think? 

Based on that rotation you'll be onsite about 48 hours a week.  Working 47 weeks/year given 4 weeks vacation and 1 week CME that's about $48.75/hour before bonus which would add about $1.50/hour.  CME is good as is retirement.  What about med mal, health & other insurances.  Next question, how busy are you across all of those 24 hour shifts.

Archived